Tech support marathon!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    So yesterday it stormed here. I heard the thunderclaps and shut everything off like I always do, except this time I forgot to unplug my cable modem and router.

Right, the modem got zapped.

No biggie, I knew better, and I'm told that homeowners will cover it (although I haven't investigated, and it doesn't bother me if it doesn't work out that way). Off to CompUSA I go to pick up a Linksys cable modem and then I come home and connect it up and call my ISP to give them the modem's MAC address so they can get it provisioned into the network etc.

2 and a half hours later, the provisioning and setup finally takes and the modem works and I'm connected. During this time apparently the entire call center was trying to figure out why this wasn't working when everything looked right on both my system and theirs, but both the tech and myself could see as far as the modem, but not beyond. When it was all said and done (after several restarts of the modem, my computer, various unpluggings, etc), it worked. I asked if I could get some sort of plaque for the weirdest tech support call of the week, and he said he'd work on it.

I <3 the intarweb. I didn't realize how fun it was until it was gone.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome to my Hell :mad:

I'm support for:
    1. Dialup internet
    2. Dialup ISDN
    3. Dedicated ISDN
    4. Dedicated line Data(fractal T1, T1, DS3, etc)
    5. Dedicated line Voice only
    6. Dedicated line IVAD (Integrated Voice and Data)
    7. Voice Mail
    8. Web Hosting
    9. Email Only Hosting
    10. Voice over IP
    11. etc

Everyday I scratch my head.... The questions are mind boggling

For Tech Health everywhere:

if you see an error... take a moment to write it down, just because you have no clue as to it's meaning doesn't make it meaningless, we know what it means and it tells us what to fix.

Don't call with attitude bitching that our network is down... I've been in Internet Tech & Admin over 8 years, 95% of the time... it is the customers computer.

And to expand on that... just because your computer has worked perfect for the last 5 years straight :eyebrow: don't give us crap cause it broke, stuff breaks.

:rollno: Gaaaahhh it's monday again tomorrow...thanks

[edit] I'm not aiming this at you, sounds like you had one of those calls that maakes a tech feel good when it's figured out and working... I'm just bitching in general, I moved out of tech a while ago, but had to step back down into it. pity me [/edit]
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I know, and I empathize completely. I've been nominated as free tech support for my family and everyone my family knows, and so I feel your pain, to a point.

Both the tech (who's name I can't remember) and myself were extremely pleased at the end of my call. I like to think that part of his happiness with it was the fact that I wasn't angry or hateful, and that I knew what I was talking about when I offered suggestions.

I considered a paid tech support job at one time, but decided that it wasn't for me. I'm hardly a patient person, and I'm told I have the personality of a pit bull. I imagine I wouldn't've lasted long.
  4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Alright, you win.

Although I'll see your list and raise you a tier 1 carrier whose employees want to yank the power cables out of their Sun boxen to see how well they recover. They make my brain bleed. :bawl: