1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech support: wireless ethernet -> ethernet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have cable internet. I've been using a Netgear RP614 router so that my Xbox and PC's can connect to the Intarweb simultaneously. It's been working great for years... all that gear is wired in my basement, and can stay wired.

My wife just started telecommuting. Her company set her up with a Cisco 871 router that connects her Cisco IP phone and ThinkPad laptop. (Note that the phone has a pass-through so that a laptop can plug into the phone rather than the router, but for now both are connected to the router). The Cisco router connects to the Netgear router, and they all work just fine.

The problem is that my wife wants to work up in her 2nd floor office, which makes sense because she'll be a lot more comfortable.

I went to Best Buy, but the dude said they didn't have anything that would help. He offered a wireless card for her PC, but she needs her phone, too.

So: what device(s) do I need to get her set up without running a long ethernet cable up two flights of stairs? I would prefer the wireless link to be between the two routers, but I'm open to whatever will work.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Netgear makes a device that hooks into your router to expand internet over your power lines in your house.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122214&Tpk=Netgear+powerline+extender

Hooks into your router. Plug it into the the wall.

Take the other end and plug it into the room upstairs power outlet. You have ethernet in any room.

Also VPN connections are flaky over a wireless connection, if she is using a remote desktop or VPN conenction I would go with the option I listed anyway.

3. Fuzzbass

4. Fuzzbass

5. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Don't go wireless then, especially if you live in an area with alot of neighbors. Phones, Other networks, Wii's, all cause interference.

6. Fuzzbass

Ah, thanks. What's the longest recommended length to run an ethernet cable these days? It'll look messy but we could roll it up when she's not working.

7. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If you are less than 50-75 feet you are fine. Cat 5 isn't recommended for more than roughly 330 feet.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I've never used a Cisco phone across a wireless network, so I can't comment there.

But i've used more than a handful of VPN connections across wireless networks, without any problems at all.

I think the Linksys WET54G is what you're looking for.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I ran a 75' cable from my upstairs computer room to the basement. I probably could have got by with 50', but 75' was like one or two dollars more. I just ran it down the cold air return. And into a closet int the computer room. No cables show except in the computer room and in the basement.

I also use a VPN over wireless every day. I keep a VPN connection up 24/7 to work. The wireless connection is way more reliable than the internet connection at work.

10. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    sweet, i heard about things like this happening soon, I'm excited its started to reach the shelves even though it seams pretty shoddy...

11. go wireless and get wireless N. speed goes up to 300 Mbits/sec which is 3x as fast as wired broadband. OF course, since it's wireless, speed will vary based on the distance and obstructions between you and the signal but in the end it's all about convenience for you, the user.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    All you guys recommending wireless seem to forget that she has an Cisco IP phone that needs to be connected.

It goes like this: Router -> Cisco IP phone -> laptop

The laptop connects to the Cisco IP phone which in turn is connected to the router.
    Right now I can't think of any adapter of some sorts which would allow the IP phone to connect via wireless.

Just run a Cat5 cable to the second floor.

13. Shishkbob

Shishkbob

Mar 13, 2008
    Costa Mesa, CA
    run a cable

That IP phone will be the issue, even if you find a way to get it hooked up wireless. The phone will have very low tolerance for signal issues.

14. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    If only I had suggested a device to do just that. Wait, I did. 7 hours before you posted.

15. Hard wiring will always be better that wireless. Running the Cat 5 was the right thing to do in your situation

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ohhh... :atoz:

It might be interesting to see though if the IP phone works through it......

17. Fuzzbass

Forgive the dumb question, but... would this go between the Netgear router and the Cisco router, or between the Cisco router and the phone/laptop connection?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the replies. :)

18. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I think it'd work best between the Netgear Router and the Cisco router, so all the Cisco gear is all wired together.

19. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I should add that I think running a wire is the best way to go, it's just matter of whether or not it's feasible.

For me, I have my main router upstairs, in the middle of the house. I have a desktop downstairs, on the far end of the house. I'd like to run a wire between the 2, but it'd either be a whole lot of work, or it'd look terrible. So I installed a wireless card in my desktop. I get a great connection, I can download files at more than 2Mbps. It's not quite as fast as a wired connection, but it's far from slow, and does the job quite well.

Don't be afraid to use wireless technology, it should be more than ample if you're just going up 1 story, just secure the network with WPA authentication and MAC Address filtering, and you'll be fine.

20. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    You could maybe run a wireless card in the laptop connect the phone to the laptop and share the connection through the laptop. I don't know much about the phone you're using though so that very well might not work and probably wouldn't be the most reliable method. As has been said your best bet is to run a cable.