Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech21 bass amps? Anyone try them yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Nov 3, 2004.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I really like my sansamp and never knew Tech21 made a full blown amp rig.

Has anyone tryed them and how long have they been making rigs?

I'm thinking about the 600/B410 rig..

Anyone? :hyper:

2. If I were you I would just sell your SWR setup, BDDI (which I take it you have), and buy a Sansamp RBI and/or a RPM and a QSC power amp and a good cab. Sansamp sound you love, but more versatile.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I have the Landmark 300 head which I run through either a Hartke 410XL and 4.5XL or through the 410XL with a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 1x15. :bassist:

I LOVE this amp and believe it's one of the best gear purchases I have ever made. The two built in preamps really do give you a range of completely different tones and you can also mix them to create your own monster tones! ;)

The Landmark 300 gives me plenty of power for small/medium gigs (any bigger and I'd be running into a PA anyway...) and the tone is clear, punchy & thick with as much or as little overdrive as I require built in. I can also use it for some lovely jazzy tones and slap playing! :smug: :D :bassist:

I heartily recommend it and apparently the cabs are very nice too! :) :cool:

4. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    freshmeat1989, I'll keep the SWR. I like the amp alot ane know what kind of sound I'll get out of it. But I'd like a second amp rig.

5. Whatever works for you man, its not my amp setup. Good luck in finding what you want though man! :)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a great idea. I've never played through a WM series amp head and cabinets that I didn't like! I owned a red-face Bass 350 and a pair of Goliath IIs and liked the sound of the WM series gear better....

I was recently blown away while visiting a Guitar Center by a combination of Workingman's 1x15 cabinet and the Behringer 300 watt head (BX3000T or whatever it's called). GC sells those heads for $229 (IIRC) and they sound awesome.

FWIW, the Tech21 4x10 doesn't have a tweeter IIRC. I'm not sure how that would affect you...

On the subject of your gear...the bassist in my old drummer's current band uses a Carvin 1x15 combo and it sounds great. You have two excellent sounding amps already.

Have fun!!!

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    If you want to buy and all tech21 rig, get the landmark 600 with the 410 cab (very good sounding).

I didn't like the 112 combo, too boxy.

I currently run RBI, Stewart 1.2 and aguilar 112 cabs.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i can not imagine a so different amp from swr of a tech21 landmark.

i own the tech21 and do not like the swr.

too different. no tweeter here. just thunder.

9. Check out the new Shadow's Fall CD...The War Within. Paul Romanko recorded with and uses the LM600/410 setup and it sounds sweet. Pretty darn good bass player too.

10. I just recently picked up a Tech21 4x10 cab (B410), and i find it fantastic .. great tone and solid as a rock.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I agree.

12. A guy i know uses the 600, very nice, and its not just an RBI with a power amp, the mixing of the channels is pretty usefull too

13. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    ;) Here's my take on the Tech21 Landmark 300 head---I scored one a year or so back (might be 2 years...), and like it so much that I retired my M/B 400+ and Genz-Benz heads in favor of it; it's truly that good. It's the core of my secular rig, sounds incredible, and it's been stone reliable for the past year or so's worth of gigs and traveling abuse.

Getting a handle on the controls takes a little while, as small adjustments in the knobs make a big difference in the sonic and timbral character of what comes out...but once you get your basic sounds dialed in the two completely different channels, you're truly there...and having two completely different sounds (mixable in two different ways, too, so you've really got four sounds at your feet, with subtle differences in the "mixed" sounds depending on which part of it is 'first'...) is a huge plus for the secular band I'm in.

Current secular setup---older Roscoe SKB-3006 into Landmark 300; "effects" consist of Rane DC-24 and BBE 411; out the other end into one or two Bergantino 112's for most rooms. The sounds it turns out are wonderful, and all I get are compliments and questions---not many people are familiar with it. I rarely fool with the eq's on the amp, and do such adjustment as is needed from gig to gig with the Rane piece---can't say enough good about that part of the rig either. All tone adjustments during the gig basically come from the knobs on the Roscoe a/k/a "Dr. Phat", occasional changes in the "presence" knob on Channel one, which gives you more or less fingerstyle swipe as the rooms volume of people ebbs and flow, and from "knuckles and nails".

It's the real deal. If I ever find a Landmark 600 for a reasonable price, I'll score one and sell some of my other tubed stuff...it's that good.

later...

RC a/k/a "notrt"