1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 BDDI vs Hartke VXL Bass Attack

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joseph.Magnum, Sep 12, 2008.

1. What do you think what's better for me to buy?
    Please have in mind that Tech21 is 280euros and Hartke is 120 euros.
    Thanx!

2. i tried both in the store in the last week and i thought the hartke was just as good as the sansamp, but that was on 2 different amps, 2 different basses, and not with my own stuff. I always suggest try before you buy. If you can return them, try the hartke first and see if you like it. they both pretty much have the same features.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Are you serious? That Hartke pedal is about the worse piece of bass gear ever. I played 3 different one (I worked a music store briefly) and they all had issues and sounded equally terrible.

4. yeah i know, i expected it to suck, but (in the store) it sounded pretty good. Like i said, try before you buy!

5. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    i have the hartke pedal and i love it, it stays on all the time. i find it gives my sound more clarity and punch.
    but then again thats just me, like everyone else has said, try before you buy.
    everyones different

6. i've owned both, i was impressed with the Hartke, but i didnt feel it as versatile as the BDDI, yes it seemed to have more a few more features (well, the shape switch) but none of that stuff really impressed me, the sansamp is alot simpler but does what it does really well. also the Hartke is pretty big comparitively, which really put me off, i got mine really cheap second hand, and sold it off a few days later, nothings really that wrong with it (although the harmonic overdrive thingie isnt that great when you crank it),

if i were you id get the behringer BDI21 (the sansamp clone) and just see if you like what u get out of that tone wise, if thats close enough to the sound you want, then the real sansamp is for you.

also, the Tech21 VTBass is pretty F*ckin amazing in my opinion. i much prefer it to the BDDI and the hartke.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    IMHO, the Hartke is one of the more underrated (and, consequently, one of the best bargains) out there.

I own both the Sansamp BDDI and the Hartke VXL and I love 'em both, but they are completely different animals, tone-wise.

The Sansamp is my MVP/desert island/what-have-you pedal, but I use my VXL for my band's practices.

8. salman

salman

Oct 16, 2008
    Mine was just delivered a few hours ago...I picked up new and cheap- $69US from samedaymusic.com (free shipping as well). If you are on a budget or a casual bassist (or both like me)- this ia a cheap way to get some pretty good tone. It produces a wide variety of sounds and is very sturdy. The 'shaper' is pretty sweet...and yes, the tube emulator sucks if you jack it up, but if you use it tastefully (from the 12 to 3 o'clock) it adds a nice feel.

If I worked in a music store I might say it sucked too, because I would have access to much more expensive preamps/DI boxes. Of course, just like any other pedal, it depends what you are plugging into it, and what you are plugging it into.

9. I tried the Hartke pedal, didn't really like it. I have yet to try the Tech 21, but people seem to like it, use it more than the former.

10. I think the Radial ones like the Bassbone are the best I've heard.