1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 Landmark 300, how loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 21, 2006.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am familiar with the great power & volume of the bigger brother, the Landmark LM600 which I think is one of the strongest sounding heads on the market.

I have never had the chance to try the LM300. So I ask, how loud/strong is?

Could be enough for a quite loud old style R&B. blues quintet?

I remember that the LM 600 was providing me enough volume with gain and volume up halfway.

Thanks & regards.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    no one?

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    I haven't heard of too many people around here using the Landmark series. I haven't either. I think alot of the players that use and discuss Tech 21 products usually use the pre amps (BDDI/RBI) paired with a power amp/speaker setup that they are familiar with and know will handle the job power/tone wise. Didn't I hear somewhere that the Landmark series was being discontinued or only available special order or something? Must be a reason for it.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Yes, must be a reason. Maybe more than just 1 reason. But sometimes reasons which stop the run of a product are not good ones. It's plenty of great products which are now out of production or which have never been the flavour of the month.

5. NJW

NJW

Jul 19, 2006
    Dundee, Scotland
    howdy. I use a LM300 in 2 'rock' bands. I pair it with an Ampeg SVT610HLF. I've found the power to be 'sufficient' but never 'too much'. I'm in the lucky position where I am almost always running DI'd except in small venues. Should I ever need to push the amp to be louder than I've needed it, I imagine it will begin to fuzz up lose its integrity.

At the moment, I'm not quite happy with the sound of it pushed at that volume, the 'tube emulation circuitry' sounds harsh to me... would rather drive a tube amp!

So to summarise, it's loud enough for me, but only just. I run drive at around 6 and level at about 5... push the drive any further and its too much fuzz, push the level any further and I find it starts to become too boomy.

Oh, and when I run it through smaller cabs, I'm rarely happy!

6. joesguitar1129

joesguitar1129

Dec 8, 2007
    Watervliet, MI
    Joes Music Exchange
    I am running the same rig....LM300/610HLF and well it was quite dissapointing to say the least. I sold my GK 700rbII because I read a bunch of great reviews on HC about this head. What a mistake that was... anyways I just upgraded to a GK 1001RBII with the 410 and 115 Neo cabs. One word... AMAZING!!

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +1 on the Landmark 600 - I have one and it it can really deliver some volume. I've cranked it pretty loud, with both gain and master around 2 o'clock and I'm amazed how it maintains control and doesn't seem to run out of steam on transients.

JR