Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech21 Landmark 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 8, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    How good can be this amp expecially for hard rock?

Any user's feedback?

[​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I want to demo one of those in the WORST way!

Are you registered over on the FDP? Go over and check out posts by a gentleman named "ThunderBass" from Milwaukee. He's been gigging in a hard rock band with one for the last year or so, and constantly sings its praises. I think T21 stuff is perfect for hard rock - if you like SVTs, you'll probably like a Landmark. IMO they also do a very nice clean tone.

I'm considering one as a replacement for my current RBI / power amp rig. I really like my RBI, but having a second channel and parametric mids would be great. The LM 600 has a rep for being very conservatively rated. I think one would be just about perfect into my pair of Bag End S15-Ds, with each cab seeing 300W.

By the way, have you seen the new Landmark head?

[​IMG]

A little 300W brother!

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    When they first came out all the reviews I read said they were total crap. Some dealers even sent them back to Tech21 saying there was no way they could sell the amps. That's just what I read though, I've never heard one in person.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The only dealer I heard that from was someone who's opinion I did not trust. The few reviews I've read were pretty good - Bass Player seemed to like it, and there's a happy owner on HC.

Most importantly, without exception the people that I've corresponded with that actually own one really like it! I give much more weight to the opinions of actual owners than some disgruntled self-important dealer.

Either the SansAmp/Tech21 tone is for you or it isn't. If you like SWR, you probably won't like the LM head or RBI pre. However, if the sound of old tube amps makes you weak in the knees, you may want to give one a listen. I know that I do, and will keep an open mind and decide for myself.

5. When it first came out a couple years ago, my band played a show with this band called The Last Vegas. Their bass player, who was not their regular one, had one and it died on their second song. The tone was good as long as it worked, pretty close to that of my SVT, but not quite as complex or nearly as loud. I let him borrow my rig to finish their set. When he hit the first note through my SVT, he got this HUGE $hiteating grin.

I have heard that reliability is a major problem with them. Since that's the only one I have ever seen in person, I tend to agree.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) I love it when that happens.

7. No other amp's been able to wipe said grin of my face. :D

I've had PermaGrin :)D) since last summer. It's startin' to hurt my face. :p

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    oh come on BP likes everything.:D

Like I said that's just what I heard around the net and whatnot. I have no personal experience with one of these. I love my Bass Driver though.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    at the moment i am really happy with my LM600. i like that tones i get (which is a subjective thing), the amp is REALLY LOUD (objective thing) and i have not yet have had problems.

for me thumbs up. and same for the guys who tried it.

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    See, now you're just confusing me, because I was really thinking about adding an RBI to my SWR/Trace Elliot rig...

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    just an update.

i am using now the LM600 with matching TECH21 4x10 cabinet with great results in a power trio. we play old style energized rock'n roll.

great amp-