Tech21 RBI bass pre any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Yes, I never leave home without it!

8 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I want to get one as soon as I can afford one!

2 vote(s)
  3. Its o.k. I use it sometimes

0 vote(s)
  4. No, I don't like the sound of the RBI

1 vote(s)
  5. If they would fix [state design problem] I'd like it.

0 vote(s)
  1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    If you own one or not answere the poll please. post what you do or don't like about the RBI
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like the RBI very much, but I wish I could make a few changes to it: XLR level control on the DRY output also. Sweepable bass and mids. maybe a deeper case so when I put it in my 6 space rack with my 350 amp I can get my fat hands to the back of the RBI easily to connect, 8 inches deep instead of 5"
  3. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I love mine!

The only feature I wish it had is a defeat switch for my rack tuner.
  4. i ordered mine last friday, don't know when it'll be here though. but once i've given it a test run i'll let you know!

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really liked mine, but got tired of humping my rack. My new Eden is lighter!

I'd buy another RBI in a heartbeat if I needed a rackmount preamp again.
  6. I use mine for recording direct. Beats lugging around amps and cabs. Oh yeah, and it sounds really good too.
  7. I love mine, it's basically the best bang for your buck, from metal to jazz to rock to bossa nova. I can get amazing amount of tones from it. I'd love it to be able to get a lot more overdrive and be able to activate it with a footswitch. But other then that if, I love it, I'll just get a distortion pedal for my rig. It doesn't have a mute switch either but it does have an output for a rack tuner, and most good rack tuners have a mute switch.
  8. just got mine, and i love it! everything from super warm bass with a bit subtle fuzz, to zingy high distortion, to super punch slap, to wall destoying bass and everything in between.

i wasn't expecting a major sound improvement, and as a result this thing totally blew me off my feet. i didn't believe my bass could sound anywhere near as good as it does now. trouble is i now want to get a better bass to help compliment the amp ;)

9. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Would anyone like to share what settings they use? I just had my first rehearsal with my new RBI and had to turn the horns on my cabs right down and set the treble control to 0. Sounded great though.
  10. I use this setting for my rock band.

Clock Form

I don't know why people think you can get really high distortion from it, I bump my Drive all the way to 10 and it still doesn't get the distortion like Justin from Tool has on the song H.
  11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I run a passive G&L SB-1 (hot passives)

Drive = 9-10 o'clock
    Presence = 7 (off) I hate finger noise
    Blend = 2-3 get some guitar twang instead of boosting mids
    Bass = 10-12 with two EA 110's
    Mid = 1
    treble = 12

When I first got mine I was 5 o'clock blend, but had to boost mids too much playing live to cut through, so I 2 o'clock blend and use slight mids in stead. full blend sounds good at home, but not with the band IMO.

p.s. I don't like the hard distortion of cranked drive, but sometimes I like 12 o'clock drive. for a soft distortion, sometimes helps cut through.