tech21 sans amp bass driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 2, 2004.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    what do you think about the bass driver DI?
    I need something to spice up a little the sound of my jazz bass and I thought of a preamp pedal... isn't that thing a digital box? Is it really an amp modeler..?It has only drive presence high and low..???
    tell me what you know about it...thanks
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Nope, it's analog. And it's not a "modeler" either. It emulates the response you would get by miking a cabinet, as opposed to running direct. Personally, I like the Acoustic DI version better because it has sweepable mids, but YMMV.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The best description I've ever heard is - "It's sounds like your bass on steroids."

I won't leave home without it.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm getting the best sound I can remember since I got the SABDDI. I use it as a preamp (i.e. into the line in of a bass amp and straight into the board) and it does everything I need.
  5. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    Ive had this pedal for about a year and i absolutely love it! Ive never gone to a gig without it. I would recomend this pedal to anyone. Also its built like a tank, its indistructable! Ive dropped it liek 20 times and not even a scratch. And it doenst drain batteries either. This pedal totally warms up your sound and it is an awesome choice.
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Bought one last January from BassNW. Used it on 4-5 gigs. Could never get a decent sound. Got rid of it. I felt the tube emulation never sounded like any tube amp I have owned/used in the past 30 years.

It's a very popular pedal loved by many players. YMMV.
  7. I was also not impressed with it's 'tube emulation'. It sounds sort of like tube overdrive but definitely does not respond like it. Sort of like hearing a bass amp sound played by a keyboard or something.
    Also it is very mid scooped and no mid eq control??
    The DI works fine though.

If you want overdrive use a Fulltone Bassdrive or something similar. If you want distortion try a Depth Charge, that's my new favourite, right after my Prunes & Custard.
  8. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I was searching for something to boost a little my signal before going to the amp... any ideas???
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Look into a Sadowsky Outboard Pre Amp. I have been using one for five years. Volume, treble and bass. I prefer it to the SABDDI.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have 'em both, and agree that the Acoustic DI is more versatile. The SABDDI has a bit more overdrive, though.
  11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'd like to respond to bmc and Wounded Paw. First, I don't find the SABDDI to be inherently mid-scooped. As Tech 21 points out, the mids are pre-set. I keep the bass and treble controls a bit shy of 12 o'clock and the blend at one or two. Playing a P-bass, I get super-fat mids with solid lows. I have the presence knob at about 1 o'clock, and get good highs also. With these settings, turning the tone control on my bass can take me from almost-dub to almost-gritty which pretty much encompasses what I want from a P.

OTOH, when I used the SABDDI in front of a bass amp or rackmount preamp, I got thick mud. But I liked the sound of it so much directly into the board, or into a power amp, or into the line in of my practice amp, that I sold my Ampeg preamp and am not using rackmount stuff now.

I keep the drive up fairly high and it responds well to my attack. However, I agree that a dedicated overdrive is a good idea, and I plan to add a Fulltone Bass-Drive at some point in the future.

I find the SABDDI to be tremendously versatile, and now that I've worked with it a bit, I think it's all I need in a preamp.