1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 Sansamp RBI SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    So this came in today and I've been playing with it for the past several minutes. As some of you may remember, I've owned the BDDI and PBDDI and I didn't like either of them. Well I like the RBI a lot better. To me it seems to sound different than the BDDI pedals. I'd say it sounds a little less constricted (still does sound a little constricted in my soundclips but not through my amp), less flabby, and I can get a sound out of it that isn't totally ice pick sounding (which is a problem I had with the BDDI). When the unit arrived it had all the knobs at 12 o'clock, and I cranked the drive, turned down the presence and treble, put the blend up all the way, and added a lot of mids. I set the RBI going into the power amp only of one of my ampeg heads, so the preamp on my ampeg is not used in these clips. To record the sound I mic'ed up the amp; I also tried recording direct out of the RBI and mic'ing seemed to capture the sound I was getting better, although far from perfectly. The sound I hear through my amp is a good deal more ballsy, raw, and less choked sounding than what you'll hear in these soundclips. Anyway, here's the clips, first with my Jazz Bass trying to cop a John Paul Jones Led Zeppelin thing:

http://media.putfile.com/RBIJazz

I think that sound works alright for that song, anyway. And here's with my SG Bass for more of a distorted grunt sound:

http://media.putfile.com/RBISG

That was a (not so good) attempt at some Gov't Mule. But it was pretty grunty anyway.

Anyways, I'm definitely considering using this thing live in place of the preamp on my amp, so if you have any opinion on these tones whatsoever I would appreciate if you'd share it.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Congrats.

Way to much grit for my personal tastes, but if it fits what you're doing GREAT! That's half the fight. I believe the RackMount units have some different grades of internals than the pedals do. Can't guarantee it, but I believe that's what I've read when researching them. And they definitely have a different vibe than the pedals do.

For the sound tendency you're showing in those clips, you might want to look at the VT-bass pedal at some point. Thusfar I've been blown away by mine.

3. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    It's a bit too gritty for my tastes. I like a clean but still kind of belchy tone. If that makes sense. It's so hard to describe tone haha.

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, obviously I'm going for a distorted tone. I have ampeg amps to do the clean sounds when I want them, don't really need the sansamp for that. But at most of the gigs I do I can't crank my rig to get it's beautiful distorted sound because it would be too loud, so the sansamp can give me an approximation of the cranked ampeg sound at appropriate gig volumes, which is really the reason I bought it to try it out. I do use a distorted sound like 99% of the time; I play in a grungy classic rock-ish band. The sansamp line I think also excels at beefing up your tone if that's what you need, but that's not the reason I was interested in the RBI.