1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 VT Bass: Disappointed!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ccrnnr9, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Well I got my Tech21 VT bass pedal yesterday after anticipation and hope that this would allow me to get some nice warm crunch ala Jack Bruce out of one of my basses. Unfortunately this is not the case. I can get a lot of tones out of it but everytime I try to get some tube style distortion it just goes to buzz saw fuzz...nothing at all usable for what I want.

After looking up some more info online, it appears that the Fulltone Bass Drive Mosfet would have been a better choice for my uses. Although a lot of people don't like it because it isn't versatile, I don't need versatilty. I just need some warm, tube driven tones that doens't lack the low end.

Any suggestions for getting that with the Tech21? I think the Fulltone will be my next try...Also I have tried it with my p-bass and my danelectro. I figured the dano would at least be able to get that tone. No go!
    ~Nick

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Just got it yesterday? You need to spend more time with it. It takes awhile to find your setting on that pedal. The knobs are very sensitive.

3. jamesie

jamesie

Jan 11, 2009
    try the ebs multidrive or the ebs valvedrive - in my opinion the ebs stuff is one of the best brands for distorted bass sounds without loosing the deep end

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My EBS multidrive is okay... but I've heard the Fulltone and it's the bomb... Plus it sounds GREAT on guitar!

5. jfunk

jfunk

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think that the VT bass is warmer than the fulltone. I've owned both and spent some decent time with both. It is true the VT does take some time to get used to. I do feel that it still takes a little bit of the mid-scoop more than i'd like but the eq stuff on the pedal allows you to compensate for that a bit. I felt like the Fulltone lost low end a little bit too much for my taste. If you really want the tube tone, get a pedal with a tube, like the valvedrive or the DHA VT1 / MK3.

6. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    See the problem is that I think a lot of people who give me advice are a lot more needing of a variety of tones. I like either my basses played straight through my amp and eq from there or just a little bit of overdrive...again think Jack Bruce with his live Cream work. I don't know that distortion or fuzz are what I need...they seem extreme. I am getting close to what I want with just my Bad Monkey guitar pedal...figures I find this out after I spend $150 on a new pedal!
    ~Nick

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I've been disappointed with TB's "flavor of the week" before. At the end of the day, it comes down to YOUR taste and what YOU like... Don't buy based on other people's opinions.

8. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    VT pedal is SVT emulator. You can also use it as an overdrive, but it is useless for heavier stuff IMO. If you are looking for Jack Bruce tone I'd go with one of DHA pedals.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jack Bruce used Marshalls and the VT is all about Ampeg. It's a slightly different flavor. And +1 for all the people saying that the VT requires experimentation. Bruce-Tone is in there to a degree, but there are way more factors to it besides gear, not the least of which is Jack Bruce himself.

That's why I don't go for all the tone-copping stuff. I'll never sound like Jack Bruce even if I own every exact bit of gear he used. Meanwhile, he can play a Warwick fretless through Hartkes and still sound like Jack Bruce.

So if you go through the VT and find a couple tones YOU like, you may have better luck with it. If not, hey, that's the way it goes. I love it, but I'm a huge Ampeg nut to begin with. It's pretty much a given that you would have to like Ampeg tones to like the VT. They're extremely accurate.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm sure there's people here who will take the VT off your hands if you don't like it.

Personally I initially had 2 of them at the same time, then none, and now have 1 once again and am very happy with it.

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    English Muffn.

12. You need more time with it! Do not make the mistake of selling it, you will likely miss it.

I, too, was disappointed at first with it, but I found love for it after about a month. Give it time, play with it.

13. I loved it at first,then i bought an EBS Valve Drive.VT gone!No need for pedals anymore.If you want a tube tone get a tube drive not an emulator,or better still a tube amp.

14. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    My Hot Tubes can get some sweet broken tube sounds. You should look at one for your self.

15. danjerl

danjerl

Feb 10, 2009
    I bought the VT because I have a Sansamp and thought they would be able to compliment eachother. At 1st, I was pissed off because I was (1) getting too much hiss, (2) I wasn't able to dial in just the right tone I was looking for and (3) my wife was threatening me that if I could be happy with it, I would have to return it and I wouldn't be able to purchase any more pedals for a while. So I did the most logical...play with it. I spent a few hours a day for 5 days and finally got about 8 different settings that work for the different styles of music I play. I love this pedal!

Like everything, you have to play with it and get used to it. The knobs are sensitive so be aware. Document your setting for future reference. If all else fails, sell it. Shoot...I'll buy it!

Happy Playing!

16. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I understand that completely but I am not trying to "cop" his tone, I just want to get close and I know it is possible somehow or another if I find the right mix of gear AND playing style. Notice how I say tone ala Jack Bruce, not his tones. His tones are his and mine are mine however I think we are all inspired by certain things and his tone is my inspiration.

What about the AMT electronic Capitalist Pig Tube drive? How does that compare? Does anyone have a list of all the tube drive bass pedals out there? I will start tinkering with this VT some more however my time is limited to when my roommates are gone.
    ~Nick

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Roommates suck.

18. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Agreed...I got in another 10min of experimentation before it had to end...head phones just don't work for this.
    ~Nick

19. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    isn't that kinda what he did?
    i haven't heard the vt pedal, but i love the sansamp stuff for bass because it does the opposite of vintage jack bruce. even when cranked to full-on grind, it has a slice and clarity to it, with a mid-scoop that makes for a tight, "modern" tone.

i think the OP needs to look at more of a freaky fuzz-bass kind of sound, maybe from a tube-equipped guitar pedal.