1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

technical notation question

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Nightwolf55, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Nightwolf55

Nightwolf55

Jun 22, 2008
    On Transcriptions, do flat & sharp notations apply to octaves? I'm guessing that they do, but i'm reteaching myself how to read transcriptions, so just want to be sure.

2. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    Yes they do. A sharp or flat lasts for the duration of that bar and affects all notes (including octaves) until that bar ends. If those notes need an accidental (sharp or flat) in the next bar they must be written again.
    If a C is sharpened in a bar, all Cs will be sharp unless a natural sign appears.
    Hope that helps.

3. Nightwolf55

Nightwolf55

Jun 22, 2008
    thank you

4. ChrisDev

ChrisDev Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2009
    Belgium
    Ritter Instruments Team & Owner BassLessons.be
    No, they don't.
    Accidentals apply within the measure and octave. So, if you have a G#, then you have to rewrite the accidental for the subsequent G's one, two,... octaves higher or lower within that measure.

If there's an G# in the key signature, then it applies to all G's, until otherwise indicated.

5. Both options have been used.

In classical music, it's not uncommon for an accidental in one octave to apply to other octaves in the same measure.

In jazz and commercial music, accidentals normally only apply to the specific pitch, not any octave displacements.

It's best IMO to put accidentals before notes in different octaves. It takes away the guess work. Intelligent used of courtesy accidentals in succeeding measures can also help remove any doubt about what pitch is wanted.

Clarity in notation goes a long way towards getting things played properly.

Leading accidentals is another thing worth looking at if you really want to notate things with clarity.

6. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    They are often called confirmation accidentals in my part of the word and they are a good idea. Not necessary in classical music but there a natural will be used if another of the same pitch letter is used in that bar.