Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technical question about blisters

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    I know the subject of blisters, and how to treat them, has been hashed out quite a bit here, but my question is more about how blisters form....

QUESTION: If I'm getting blisters on my index and middle fingers of my fretting hand, does this mean I'm pushing down too hard on the strings? In other words, is it inevitiable that "fret blisters" will occur for new bass players or is it a matter of poor technique?

Thanks

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Good advice.... :meh:

"inevitiable that "fret blisters" will occur for new bass players"

the above is the correct answer.... keep on keepin on.... :bassist:

3. It could also be a matter of poor technique.
    Excessive pressure or constant sliding into notes will
    have the same effect. Exacerbated by roundwound strings.
    And the inevitiable blisters incurred by begginers is part of the dues paid to travel the road to becoming a bassist.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont make him worry too much.

its inevitable basically. I had blisters for the first month or so.

5. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Thanks, I'll keep on keepin on.... :)

6. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I've been playing for about a year and a half now...

I remember the blisters... Kinda miss em.

I loved the feeling of playing so much that it gave me blisters, it only motivated me to play more

7. i have an ABG with flats to keep me company here at college and i keep my electric with roundwounds back home. i went home for a weekend about a month ago and was astonished at how quickly my rounds destroyed my fingers. i got less than an hour playing time in before the pain started. back when i played rounds regularly, i could play for hours at a time without any problems...

8. This question is a little off topic, but i have white callouses and the skin is really dry on the tips of my plucking fingers on my right hand. I have beem playing at least 2 housr 6/7 days for the past 6 months.
    It seems like this is making my tone extra bright, is this normal and is there a way i can get rid of it?

9. with your pretty heavy playing schedule, it's expected that your callouses will get that hard and that big....i suppose you could try lotion to soften them up....

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Never had blisters in two years of playing. Am I the only one?

11. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    i only get blisters on my right plucking hand after many years of playing ,i blame my self cause i spank the c*** outta my bass.recently i have been using ddarrio XL soft gauge strings and that seems to have solved this problem for me.no more black fingertips :hyper:

12. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    As far as blisters on your plucking hand goes I'd say your probably playing too hard. I play 6/7 hours a day and have had that schedule for about a year and a half and I have never had a blister, and barelly have callouses on my plucking hand. I remember when the callouses that I do have on my right hand formed and it what after I started doing two hand tapping, so my plucking has never been hard enough to give me callouses.