Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technical Question About Using Multiple Hipshot Detuners

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I figured between Michael and the other Hyperbass users who frequent this forum, this would be the best place to ask. I currently have one detuner on my bass (four-string), and I'd like to put multiple detuners on. But the detuners seem so long that it looks like I may not be able to fit another one on the tuner above it. Do Hyperbasses have detuners where the arm is a shorter length than the standard detuners? Or are the tuners set far enough apart where they can swing without hitting the tuner below it?

2. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Zon have to shorten the detuners for the Hyperbass. Otherwise they won't all fit on.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is this something Joe Zon does himself, or does Hipshot shorten them on special order? If not, then it may be that a Hyperbass is the only way to get four extenders on a bass :(, unless you have tuners that are VERY distanced.

Not that I wouldn't love a Hyperbass- but I assume the street price for one is $4000+.

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Widener is right -- to get more than one Extender Key on a bass some mods usually need to be done. The folks at Zon do this themselves by bending and/or shortening the levers. It’s a little tricky, but it works.