Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technical

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Roth135, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Roth135

Roth135

Feb 16, 2005
    Ohio
    Because slap bass comes natural to me, it wasn't very difficult learning Primus's "Tommy the Cat," "Jerry was a Race Car Driver," or even their version of "Master of Puppets." Though I'm still proggressing in this style of bass playing, I've decided to try and get better at technical bass playing such as tapping or just plain fast fingering. Such artists I explain are Billy Sheehan, John Myung, Stu Hamm, etc...

Though the problem is I cannot seem to find such websites with this kind of information on this style of technique. If you know any, please let me know.

Thank You,
    Nick

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    activebass.com has some nice lessons, but so does TalkBass. Check out the Lessons/Articles and don't be afraid to ask questions.

3. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Billy Sheehan has 2 VHS and 2 DVD medias that show very clearly 3 finger technique. Stu Hamm has a 2 VHS video too.

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm, I was under the impression Jerry was a Race Car Driver's main line was tapped....It would be interesting to see a transcription of that line slapped.

5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    jerry was a racecar driver is tapped- it's a series of tritone chords several frets apart. you need to pull off 3 chords in a row. you cannot slap anything more than a rough approximation.

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, that was my point, if you can tap that one out clean, you are doing okay.

7. Roth135

Roth135

Feb 16, 2005
    Ohio
    i'm aware jerry was a race car driver is tapped -- it's not very hard to slap it. ;)

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My advice: Don't worry about the flashy stuff

9. Get Victor Wooten's dvd of his performance at bass day 98. There is an extra interview which is basically like a general bass lesson. Learn stuff like me and my bass guitar, classical thump etc and that should keep you busy a while. Invest in his transcription book, "The Best of Victor Wooten". Great stuff.

Also check out the likes of Michael Manring, Jaco, Gary Willis etc.

10. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I found some interesting slap style instructional/observational videos at gazzbass.com

This is a site by Gary Denyer, where there are several videos of him slapping and popping like crazy. He is kind of a Mark King disciple, if Level 42 was your thing. He also sells instructional vids and books there.

Personally, I don't care for this style of bass playing at all, but for those of us who do, these vids would be of interest.

http://www.gazzbass.com/Features/bass_videos.htm

11. Roth135

Roth135

Feb 16, 2005
    Ohio
    The comments help, thanks guys.

12. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I would have to agree. It's a pretentious way to express yourself. I've been down the road of unaccompanied bass solos and the like, and it really is a case of hit or miss. To this day I find it hard to understand.

Sticking to the basics, you have more chance of Real success.