1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

technicality issue w/ new bass for a beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thadg, May 31, 2007.

1. thadg

thadg

Mar 21, 2007
    When i hit the string with force it hits the fret and makes loud hitting metal noise. Am i hitting the string right, i feel like i should hit it harder, but it makes the noise. It looks like theres more space between the string and the neck the closer it gets toward the body. While near the headstock theres barely ne space. The guys at guitar center center said it didn't need straightening. So yeah... what do you guys think. Also when i push down the strings against the fret with my left hand it makes a sound easily.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

This should probably be in repair and setup, not here.

Anyway, it sounds like you need a good set up. Probably a neck adjustment too. It's no big deal really if you take it to a competent luthier.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - you shouldn't be "hitting" the string - it's a musical instrument !! I suspect technique issues, but without seeing exactly what you are doing - nobody can really help!

One lesson with a good teacher would probably sort you out - but it's the sort of thing you cannot do via internet forums!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021