Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technique Development Cycle

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Correlli, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Over the past few months I seen lots of threads asking various questions on improving playability, such playing fast.

With the help of TB member threads and posts, I've constructed a systamtic method to show bass players, how to go about developing technique, and also the theory behind the technique. Where's there's technique, there Should be theory! In my mind that is the only way to developing a full-filling music career. This cycle method is based on a Software Development Lifecycle, in which developing technique has many similarities to developing software.

This Diagram shows the overall pattern, that shows four basic phases:
    1. what is it I need to learn in order to have a full-filling music career?
    2. How to go about learning it?
    3. When have I learnt it?
    4. Do i really need to keep developing it at the same intensity?

[​IMG]

Individual Phase Example

Envision
    Example:
    -Left Hand: Tonic note pull-off to Sub Tonic (wholetone), modulating in semitones (chromatically), along one string, starting at middle C.
    -Right: Tonic note is plucked.

Development - see notation examples
    Example:
    -Day One; 1/4 hour; 1 minute practice; 1 minute rest.
    -Day Two; 1/4 hour; 2 minute practice; 30 second rest.
    -Day Three; 1/4 hour; 3 minute practice; 15 second rest.
    -Day Four; 1/2 hour; 3 minute practice; 10 second rest.
    -Day Five...
    -Day Six...
    -Day Seven...
    etc
    Day 30; 1 hour; 4 minute practice interval; 10 second rest interval

Test and Verify
    Example:
    Record the days practice session for peer or self assessment.
    At the end of a 30 day cycle, record a short piece of structured music (12 bar blues progression) demonstrating the technique that was developed. Make the recorded music available for peer or teacher assessment. If quality is satisfactory, move technique to the maintenance phase, and start a new cycle.
    Maintenance
    Example:
    2 minutes per day practicing the technique, using various tempos and timing combinations.

The Development Phase Examples

With each day of the Development Phase, there is some notation to learn and follow. This ensures that there is a "Purpose" when learning a technique.

Day One

40 bpm
    [​IMG]

Day Two

50 bpm
    [​IMG]

Day Three

60 bpm
    [​IMG]

Day Four

100 bpm
    [​IMG]

Any comments as to changes that could be made, things that could be added, ideas that may be incorrect, or any errors in the logic. Any help is a appreciated, as I'm planning to use this method to teach bass guitar in the future.

Thanks for your help so far :)

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I would add soemthing to the Test and Verify section: instead of recording a practice session, record the student playing an actual peice of music using the given technique. In my opinion you haven't learned a technique until you can use it musically. Excercises don't count.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    sounds good. I'll put that in.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    made some updates, more to come.

Edit:

I got lots more goodies coming up. hehe