1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Technique on 5/8th or 1/2 size basses

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by eriksd, Aug 11, 2012.

1. eriksd

eriksd

Aug 9, 2011
    Hello Everyone!

I've struggled a bit with my bass trying to get better intonation. Its a 39 1/2" string length, WW2 era German laminate. Great tone and tight. But I've found that in the half position between 3rd and 4th, then 4th through thumb, it plays more in tune if I throw out Smandell and think 'electric bass neck' using four fingers up to thumb position. Any advice on technique for this size instrument would be very appreciated!!

2. It really depends on your hand size and what you're comfortable with. I would say use whatever works the most consistently for you without risking injury.

Using all four fingers isn't that out of the ordinary, especially past the D on the G string.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This needs to be moved to a technique forum. I'll flip a coin and move it to "Jazz Technique". please let me know if it needs to be moved to the orchestral forum.

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    My 12-year-old son plays on a 1/2-size DB (37.5"). I'm a real believer in 1-2-4 fingering - on DB and EB. However, around 5th Position, I see that 1-2-3-4 is applicable, up to Thumb Position. This would be true of EB, for me, as well - but no Thumb Position, of course. :D

On my 3/4 DB, I use 1-2-4 up to Thumb Position, probably 75% of the time. It just depends...