1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Technique or setup?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FoamieOmie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. FoamieOmie

FoamieOmie

Jun 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Hello,

When I lift my finger off of the fretboard on my acoustic bass after playing a single note I get a short burst of buzz from the fret(s). I have tried MINOR truss rod adjustments and have had some good results but I was wondering whether this could be a technique problem. I just switched to tapewound strings which made a huge difference in the tone but this problem persists. Any help would be great, thanks!

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sounds like you need to learn to coordinate both hands so you damp the string when you take your finger off it.

jte

3. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    FWIW: I have the same problem with my (lazy) pinky when I'm not paying attention. Specially at the end of a playing session when my left hand fingers are tiring - the pinky releases its strings way too slow. When I focus on releasing it more 'sharply', the problem is gone.

4. FoamieOmie

FoamieOmie

Jun 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Thanks for the replies. As I work with my technique I am able to diminish the buzz more. Still kinda new and utilizing band mates and this board to help with teaching me the proper way to play (I'm a drummer needing a melodic outlet besides piano!). I'm obsessed with the bass and play it exclusively except for band practice and gigs where I playthe drums. I find myself trying to figure out the bass lines watching the bassists now. Getting there...