1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Technique" posts...that are actually about "Musicianship"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm sure I couldn't be the only member here who has noted the disconnect: how so many supposed "technique" questions and comments that appear in this forum are actually not about technique at all, but are about musicianship. Those posts usually land here in the Technique forum by default...because there is no better place on TalkBass in which to categorize them. I suspect that many inexperienced players here are confused as a result.

Examples of musicianship topics: phrasing, note choices, interpretation, dynamics, arrangements, instrumentation, volume, syncopation, timbre and tone.

Examples of technique topics: slapping, tapping, picking, plucking, hand positioning, touch, muting, floating thumb, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibrato, open string notes vs. fretted string notes.

Amirite, or amirite? :eyebrow:

MM

bholder likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You're right - should there be a musicianship section added? Seems to me there's a lot of overlap between this and the General Instruction category, though. The summary there says "How do I play this thing?", which of course, could be about either / both musicianship or technique.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Technique is physical approach and that is about achieving a relaxed and tension free approach to playing the instrument.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1. The important thing IMO is that the person gets the constructive advice he requires.

thabassmon likes this.