Technique problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lukeitfc, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Lukeitfc

Jan 4, 2006
    Hi, I've been a member of the forums for a couple of months now, but never really posted, but I decided it was time to come out of the woodwork,

I've had a few problems with my technique, I've recently started playing slap, however, I find it hard to hit the correct string, for example if I were to slap an open A, I'd often catch the open E as well, are there any pointers to help avoid this?

Also, I've recently started using 3 finger technique, but I find it harder to play simple scales, such as the minor pentatonic because of using three fingers, is there any way to help with this, or is it just practice, I play IMRM with my right hand.

Thanks in advance

2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Slow down. Play things correctly as slow as you can, and do it often. After a while, it'll become muscle memory, and you'll be able to do it faster.
  3. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Luke - the best advice I can give you is find a qualified teacher. It cuts the learning curve expodentially and practice, practice, practice!
  4. Lukeitfc

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm currently looking for a teacher, but there are none in my area, so until I find one, I'll have to teach myself

5. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Lotsa books and videos available on slap if ya can't find a teacher near you - Mel Bay, Hal Leonard, et al. Lots of links to vids right here in this forum - check 'em out! Some really cool stuff! Hit "search" at the top of the page.

As far as three finger playing it just takes a little time to get used to it. It becomes automatic very quickly.

As far as slapping the correct string just takes practice. Muting the other strings with your fretboard fingers (the ones you aren't using to play the note) helps but strive for accuracy.

All this stuff takes a little time, patience and practice. Hope this helps