1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Technique Question

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bassnutj, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    Janek-
    I know you and other players use a ramp so as to not dig in too much with your touch. I've been hesitant to do that yet, but I've found a problem with my playing: when soloing, I have a large dynamic range, which is good on one hand. On the other, when recording, it can be tough. For example: on one take, I'll moving along nicely, playing some melodic stuff, then I'll playsome faster passages, and the volume will almost half itself. Then I'll go for a high note or something, and the input will clip. It's not the setup of the bass or the pickup height, as these are in good order. It's the touch I give the bass.
    I don't want a ramp. Any suggestions?
    Thanks much. I know you're busy.

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    hey man,

good question.

I would say it has something to do with the control of your consistency of tone and touch. I found that working on some basic scale exercises really slowly helped me with the control of my touch. I would play very slowly and be really conscious of how even each note was. Now I would make sure that I practiced as many different velocities of attack with the right hand, but just practice one feel at a time. Maybe start with a soft touch running through your exercise routine, and work through it over and over again increasing the amount that you dig into the string. Then you're going to develop muscle memory in your fingers for each different velocity, and never have to think about it ever again. You'll automatically have the touch in your fingers and be able to play any way you want.

I hope that's making some sense. Feel free to hit me up again if there was anything that wasn't clear.

Easy,

Janek

3. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks man, that makes sense.
    Will that then resolve how when I play faster, my volume decreases? In other words, I play lighter when I play faster, not by choice, but it just happens. So then does that mean I play too hard when I'm not playing fast? I know that's hard to say without seeing it....
    Thanks.

4. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I know what you mean, and yes that should help with the volume control at all tempos.

The reason you're playing lighter at faster speeds is because your fingers aren't strong enough to move in the same way they would at a slow speed. The more you build up strength in the fingers from those few simple exercise ideas, the more control you'll have over playing at any volume at any tempo.

Easy,

Janek

5. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    That sounds right. I'll get on those exercises immediately.
    Thanks again for the help.