Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by studiopro, May 4, 2001.

1. studiopro

studiopro

May 4, 2001
    HEY GUYS CHECK OUT
    STUDIOBASSPLAYER.COM
    I JUST GOT 6 STRING BASS, SLAPPING AND WALKING VIDEOS
    THE VIDEOS ARE EXCELLENT. THESE ARE SOME OF THE BEST VIDEOS I'VE SEEN AND I HAVE MOST OF THE TAPES OUT THERE. JUST THOUGHT ID LET YOU GUYS KNOW.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is the video I previously told you guys about. I'll post my review from the Thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=16051

I just got studiobassplayer.com's "soloing 2" video which claims to extensively cover soloing over changes. The selling point that got me was that it appeared (note: appeared!) to be put out by the University of Miami School of Music (says "university of miami school of music" right on the box). You can check the specs at www.studiobassplayer.com if ya want.

IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What it is: A guy who can only marginally play and CAN'T teach trying to show the viewer how to take 'licks' from bebop heads (Donna lee, Ornithology, Groovin High) and transpose them. No word about the harmony, transposing the licks to fit on other chords (that would require talking about pesky things like roots, 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, blah blah blah). He doesn't even correctly identify the key of each lick. Several times he transposes a lick over a ii - V and calls the new key by the root of the ii chord.

Add to this the fact that the bass neck in the close ups has no position markers. Great if you don't like to play a bass with dots, but you need them if you're showing somebody something - duh! Especially if the headstock is not visible.

The best (worst?) part about the video is the "money shot" tune, for lack of a better phrase. The tune he plays after it's over is "Anthropology", only he screws the pooooch on it! Misses notes everywhere, plays rhythms incorrectly, slows down to play the hard stuff, speeds up on the easy stuff....a total hack job. Any of the guys at the Atlanta bass get together could have put together a better package in a few days.

Please don't buy this video. I'm trying to get my money back for it, and if I don't I'm going to send it to Bass Player for them to put in the Barbecue Pit.

Caveat Emptor

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, a case of cheap-ass advertising again?

P.S.: I also don't like shouters!

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    HEY STUDIOPRO.

I'M GUESSING YOU AIN'T.

5. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Hey, are you the same guy that is on all the other bass boards saying how good these videos are?
    Me thinks you are! You must be really excited about these videos. :D

6. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Yeah, I'm there studiopro! *sigh*
    :rolleyes:

7. Maybe Studiopro is the actual guy in the video!!! He came right in here and makes his second post which is clearly an advertisement and then mysteriously vanishes..... hmmm...... kind of fishy?

8. why did he put a thumbs down next to the name of this post? i think that's funny.

9. damn ray charles is rating movies again.

:D

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is the same *%$#@*&%* that I deleted from "techniques" a month or two ago. I e-mailed him and told him he needed to make arrangements with Paul to run ads here. Now he has come back and posted in all caps. I guess he isn't selling enough of those videos.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I was going to delete it, but then decided it would be a better service to let people know how freaking bad these videos are.

I did do the thumbs down thing, tho... :D

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    In some way I kind of want to buy the video just to see him play badly. But, that would earn him money. :(

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    maybe pacman can do some illegal copies of the copy he has and send you one... that way no money is going to studiopro :D (unless he threw the copy to the garbage or returned it for the money)

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Studio Pro!!! Come out and play!!!