Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Techniques of 50’s & 60’s country players.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sartana, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Sartana

Sartana

Feb 13, 2006
    If one were to try and emulate the technique/style/sound of the electric bass players of the 1950’s and 1960’s, what would you recommend? I have a ’62 Fender Jazz bass reissue and a mid 60’s Magnatone with flatwound strings on them. I think I am good there. I seem to have read that many of them used picks….is that correct? As to amps, I am guessing that an Ampeg Portaflex or Fender Showman will do the trick. Underpowered by today’s standards I know but for practice and club settings I am guessing it should work.

Any thoughts?

James

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Except for whether or not to use a pick, you're not talking about technique - you're talking about gear.

Using a pick was NOT common. What you're more likely thinking of is the baritone guitar, those picked tic-tac parts with palm muting and lots of reverb.

In the 50s the vast majority of country records were made with upright bass.

Beginning about 1962, the Fender Precision began to be heard more. Flatwound strings, finger style, and most important, understated parts!

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    as for gear, if you really want to get that sound from then, loose the jazz and pick up an old precision bass.....as much as I love my jazz and the tone of the jazz bass with flats, it doesn't truly capture that era's tone and sound.....