Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

techniques/styles/goals for hardcore music

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anenemy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. anenemy

anenemy

Oct 4, 2005
    yo i was wondering... what "objectives" should the bass player of a hardcore band have in writing music. In other words, what styles are popular to hardcore music and what is the bass player's job in the band. Is it to hold the low end and follow the kick drum, or to hold a mid tone and follow the guitar? let me know what u do... :hyper:

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    A mix of those and then add in some original parts to keep it interesting, but a tight bass/kickdrum combo in hardcore music is crucial. Especially for breakdowns.

3. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    this is generalizing a whole lot, but i find that instead of bass complimenting guitar like in many genres of music, the guitar compliments the bass in a lot of classic hardcore. the bass will lay down the driving foundation, sometimes without drums or guitar, and the guitar then comes in on top of it and follows the lead. two classic hardcore songs that start this way are "i dont wanna hear it" by minor threat and "world peace" by the cro-mags. i think bass is the predominant driving force of most straight forward hardcore bands. i dont think the same applies for metalcore or any newer style hardcore bands like comeback kid or throwdown (if you even want to call throwdown hardcore) -dave

4. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i doubt he was refering to classic hardcore.
    the current incarnation bears little in common with early dc and ny styles.

5. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    youre probably right, a lot of people these days seem to think that anything with screaming is hardcore. i shudder when people say bands like korn are hardcore bands. :rollno: -dave

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmm. for me. i'm doing both.

overcourse, most of my lines go along with our guitars, and my icking usualy goes along with the drums(not just the kick). i think it sounds pretty tight.

7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    People are rediculous.. I have even had someone say to my face that a band like Iced Earth is hardcore.

Dumbasses!

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to play in several hardcore bands, and more than any other genre I think hardcore demands that the bassplayer really strive to bridge the gap between drums and guitar. If you don't do that you get two seperate sounds happening instead of a single relentless groove, which for me is the focus of hardcore.

The simplest way to do this is to match pitches with the guitars while matching rythyms with the drums. There are other ways to do it as well, but this is probably the most important trick in a good hardcore bassists bag.

Secondly it really helps to be able to step forward during breakdowns to make sure the wall of sound doesn't crumble. This doesn't mean you should get flashy, though a lot of hardcore bassists do, just be ready to really make the bass stand out when the focus of the song shifts to the rythym section.

9. i think the 'meat and potatoes' bass rule applies to hardcore more or less - lots of root note action but when the time to shine comes get some run downs in to make chord changes more interesting; how about take them from the minor scale? or make it chromatic? or if you want to talk NOLA sludgecore (ala Crowbar) do some fills from the blues scale maybe?

i think the bass player from Sick Of It All has great technique, listen to the bass intro to 'Step Down' and is another example of how the bass is usually joined by the guitar following it, rather than bass following the guitar. A 'clanky' bass sound is usually adopted by the hardcore bassist but it doesnt have to be the rule, the 100 Demons bassist has a fair decent tone live as does the bassist from Walls of Jericho (he even uses a 3 finger plucking method also - so dont think you have to be stuck to using a plec just because you play hardcore).

10. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    bump

11. This whole who is and who isn't hardcore thing is lame, play what you want where you feel you should. I doubt most of the bassists you aspire to be like, ask whether or not their bassline is "hardcore" enough for the song...