Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Techniques you just can't find a use for

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm all about the slap, tap, harmonics, tapped harmonics, etc. etc., but for the life of me I just simply can not find a use for sliding harmonics. I can slide three notes at a time with my left hand and even slide pinch harmonics that are done over the fretboard (obviously not ones that are above the 24th fret). By their nature they seem to be a kind of technique that one would use as a subtle accent to a larger line, but I've never even heard one used other than my teacher showing me the technique, and I've never heard them used in any sort of actual musical way.

How about y'all? Ever had a technique that you just can't use?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Double Thumbing. I do it occasionally when I'm bored with a traditional slap line and want to play it a different feel (or just to practice the technique :)) but I've never found it necessary for any gig.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've found an odd use for everything o_0

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Some of these things are just icing for which you will need some proverbial cake - but Stanley Clarke does some sliding harmonics - I forget the tune...it's in one of his "biggies" I think. I've also heard Marc Friedman from The Slip do some sliding harmonics on his fretless (yummy).

5. Yeah, I've been using sliding harmonics a lot lately. Just make a quick "weeeee" sound with it on the top string, starting from about the 12th fret on. Make the note last about an eighth note. You can mix it in with a normal fingered funky bassline or a slap solo, whatever.

6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Who was the bassist for the Firm, that 80s band with Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page - I think it was Tony Franklin? I seem to remember he used sliding harmonics a lot, especially on "Radioactive".

As for myself, I haven't played with my teeth in a long time... :D

7. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    how does one use a sliding harmonic... ive never heard of them

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Huzzah! I've finally found a use for them! I've been doing an arrangement of Amazing Grace for a few days and I found a small harmonic slide from the 5th "fret" (I'm doing this on a fretless) up -- very small, like a half of a half-step -- accents a couple parts rather nicely.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Huzzah! I've finally found a use for them! I've been doing an arrangement of Amazing Grace for a few days and I found a small harmonic slide from the 5th "fret" (I'm doing this on a fretless) up -- very small, like a half of a half-step -- accents a couple parts rather nicely.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    So important it had to be said twice. :D

Double Thumping (makes you sound like a Wooten wannabe), tons of dead notes in slap lines (adds filler to boring slapping), Hammer-on tapping (think Eruption, leave this style to Sheehan he has perfected it for twenty years), pinch harmonics (leave this for Sheehan as well).

That's about it. Everything else gets used.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have little use for anything shorter than a 32nd note.

12. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    In all honesty, slapping. I have never needed to slap, I really don't like the way it sounds most of the time either.

13. ondray

ondray

Jun 3, 2004
    There's a technique which i can never find a use for.

It's called the whirlwind where you swing your bass round and round a few times to gather speed and then aim for either the bass drum or something hard. You can then see bits and pieces of your bass wood floating in the air and wriggly strings dangling around.

Might get one a couple of rock and roll chicks/blokes. lol

Andre

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Don't listen to Marcus Miller much, do you?

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I only have his live album, I don't believe he taps on it, but I could be, and probably am wrong.

What are some songs that Marcus Miller taps on Pacman?

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    He taps on the intro to one tune on that album - can't recall the title, but it's a rubato intro. He taps quite often in the EVH style, tho.

17. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Same here.

its off to the Search button i go...

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Didn't realize that, guess I need to give it another listen. Thanks for the heads up Pacman

19. I am yet to find a place in my songs for artificial harmonics. Any of you guys use 'em?

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Yes, but at what tempo? ;)