Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Techno/Dance music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Considering some of you have a nice broad base of music knowledge, I'm wondering is anyone can name a few good artists that make good techno or dance music.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

2. rgallant

rgallant

Feb 14, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    I like Orbital a lot. Not quite sure if that fits into the Techno category or what not as, IMO, the genre is more divided up in little sections than Metal. :rolleyes:

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I like an old band called O3. They had one big hit in the early 90's sometime, but they're still around. Definitely worth a checkout. :)

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Daft Punk are a good place to start.

The underground dance music scene is vast, rivaling in size the rock scene, from rave to house to IDM etc.

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

Here's a good place to get a feel for what's out there

5. Haha - was waiting for this

I played for years in a band that made little money, and i was determined to make a livin out of music.

so i became a dj (for many years, but back in the fold now)

check out

BT

anything on the Tinrib label (be warned, its highly addictive - good f**kin dance, can't rate it highly enough - just excellent)

For some more commercial dance, check out Ministry Of Sound - always quality product

I have always wanted to turn this kind of music into a live product, and now it seems to be coming together.

Have a look at Kylie Minogue or Madonna's band - seriously good muso's playing dancey music - way yay!!!!

6. thanks for all the help

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    some of my favorite electronic bands are The Chemical Brothers, Green Nuns Of The Revolution, and Astral Projection.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    DJ Sammy and DJ Mystik...

9. Propellerheads are great as well. Check out Apollo 440, their best album is "Electro Glide in Blue".

10. rgallant

rgallant

Feb 14, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Check out http://www.ishkur.com/music/

They have a pop-up (Flash?) that will let you sample the many techno/trance/house/etc. artists/songs to your liking. A lot of their tunes are streamed from di.fm

Just click the "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music v2.5" button and it'll start up.

@ Against Will - I forgot how much I liked Daft Punk, Da Funk is probably my favorite track by them.

:cool: