Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Techno Genres?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Sep 13, 2004.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I have found that i like techno. I dont know why, and i dont know how it happened. It just did. Now that i like it... i have no idea what the different genres are and the definitions of these genres. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    slick

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They have shots for that now.

3. Drum and Bass- Bum ba dum bum bum, ba dum dum ba ba dum

Trance- it melts into ur brain, you cannot think fo anything else. you may find yourself dancing. usually high pitched.

electro-clash- it explains itself.

happy hardcore- a slower trance, usually has lyrics that if you listen to hard enough, is the same thing over and over

chill-played in the chill room of a rave or party. slower, softer, but still danceable

house- good.

experimental- usually a different genrea of music mixed with techno, hence, experimental

meh, I could go on for hours. just go here

http://www.di.fm/

and scroll to the top/middle and click on something.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Techno is a genre within electronica.

Industrial, Dancehall and IDM all fall under its auspices, along with Big Beat, 808, and trip-hop.

Go to www.allmusic.com, sign-up for membership (costs nothing) and check out the 'Genre' section.

5. am i the only one slightly amused that this is in off topic, as in it's not music related? :p

6. i guess off topic really is the right place for this because techno sure as hell doesnt fall under music for me ;)

7. IMO, House is the best. Especially for those who listen to a lot of music (I'm trying to be nice here, but a lot of stuff isn't music - for example techno!) - what I'm really trying to say is, if you're educated in perhaps what we can say is the more musically sophisticated music (ie jazz, rock, r&b, etc), you're probably more into house. Which is cool. I like house.

There's a quote in Kath & Kim (an Australian TV show) where Kath says "Is this Town-House music?" :D

Click here (and scroll down) to see my contributions to House. :D

EDIT: Some groups I like are The Streets, The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy. :cool:

8. I can't go past the Goa/Psy trance myself

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    HOUSE?!!! house music is generally recognised by all serious electronic musicians as the worst and often most primative music in the electronic genre. seriously, the house music scene is little more than a joke here in london.

i like progressive IDM and EBM music, famous examples of which are Aphex Twin and Squarepusher (tom jenkinson is a really nice guy as well as an amazing musician).

as for those who claim electronica isn't music, you'd be wise to check out the London Sinfionetta's recent collaberation with Tom Jenkinson/Squarepusher, where the orchestra gave a few performances of their interpretations of his work.

steph - no disrespect to you, but are you sure you mean house music? for more 'sophistically educated' musicians, house music is surely the worst kind!! IDM (intelligent dance music) is extremely complex and many composers of it are highly trained musicians.

10. House is a bit more easier on the ears. :p

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    than what? than IDM?

cliq-hop is very easy on the ears and extremely intricate and detailed.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm into Goa myself, don't ask me why, but I dig it (most of my friends aren't very understanding on this subject so I try not to mention it too often ;) )
    I also love Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, SunnO))) (if that counts for electronic) and some electro/dance (like Magnus, belgian groep :) ). I don't care what it is, if it makes me move,I like it.

13. You cant forget Ambient: just what its named, ambient sound, good for meditating, drooling on yourself, and chillin.

And theres Triphop: Trancy hiphop loops, good for dancing if your your a total spaz cause if you just flail around enough people won't make fun of you, they just think you're rolling on E.

Then theres all kind of sub-sub genre's for trance and house and urban etc.... ad nausium.

If you have itunes go to the electronica section of there radio function, they have some cool stations.

I used to work some of the clubes in South Beach, seems
    like every dj tries to create his own unique sub- genre,But it all kinda just fades into back round noise after awhile for me :oops:

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Try listening to Mr. Scruff for trip-hop, that's some brilliant music.

Pendulum or Roni Size (earlier stuff is a bit less cheesy) for drum n bass, fun stuff to rave it up to.

Listen to Squarepusher, some incredible basslines on that, from rinsin' slap on Come On My Selector, to nice harmonics on Iambic 9 Poetry, to crazy fretless lines on most of Hard Normal Daddy and Feed Me Weird Things.

I think maybe some people should be a little more open-minded about music...

16. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You know what?? This thread made me pull out my party boy speedos. ""Buddha/ha ha ha ha ha ha........BUDDHA""""There's some ho's in this house, there's some ho's in this house"" anyone remember that crap?? Well if you grew up in the san fernando valley in the late nineties you would be "hitting home" right now.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    And much more musical and less mechanical for the most part.

18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Don't worry about labels, just listen to what you like. Oh, and go check out Aphex Twin. Richard D. James is IMO the most creative 'techno' artist out there.

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Am I the first to mention Jungle? C'mon, I can't be the only one that likes listening to Jamaican guys babble over cool beats.