Techno Guys... I need speaker replacement advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    The original Eden designed speaker in my Nemesis 1x15 combo just blew on me the other night in rehearsal. The amp is capable of 200 watts at 8 ohms and 225 at 4. I almost always play without an extension cabinet and was not,nor ever do,play at excessive volumes. I had the amp checked by my usual repair guy who is also an Eden authorized repair service and everything was good. My question is, is there an "ideal" wattage rating for speaker to amp ratio? I was considering purchasing a 15 rated at 600 watts for headroom. Although, I'm sure 400 would probably cover it. Do I risk regular clipping with a higher rated speaker? Or, would a 400 watter be more likely to bottom out at playable volumes which, of course, damages the speaker also.

2. Power ratings on speakers is usually the maximum wattage the voice coil will accept before it melts into goo from the heat.

Not a very good indicator...

Bass is harsh on drivers, because it forces them to move so far to produce decent volume at low frequencies. The trick is not so much the wattage, but the number of drivers that are moving air. More cone area = less stress on each driver.

Your driver failed either thermally or mechanically. If thermally, too much power was applied to the voice coil. If a mechanical failure, the driver was over-driven and bottomed out, or otherwise tore itself up. If the cone is "creased", the driver was slapped so hard the voice coil moved faster than the cone, and wrinkled the paper cone.

First, replace your Nemesis driver with a like model from Eden. They are engineered to operate correctly in your combo.

Next, consider an extension cabinet. More speakers are better. Spread the work load among multiple drivers.
  3. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    The Nemesis speakers are not particularly heavy-duty units. I suppose it’s the price you pay for light weight. I spoke to David Eden about these a few years ago when I was buying my Nemesis 210 and 115 extension cabinet, which I special ordered with a 4 ohm voice coil. David warned my about driving the extension cabinet with anything much more than a 200W amp. I know several guys that have the 210 Nemesis, and only one has blown a speaker to my knowledge, and that happened from abuse at a jam, not from normal playing.

If you don’t mind lugging an extra box, adding an extension cabinet will help things in several regards. First, your speakers will see much less stress. The amp will also run cooler since the extension cabinet connects in series (which is why I ordered mine with 4 ohms). Plus, you will have more headroom, and be able to get a thicker sound. I’m actually thinking of selling my extension cabinet as it doesn’t get much use since I bought my Aguilar rig (send me an e-mail if you are interested). I’ll never sell the combo though; I think it’s the best thing in its class. Whatever you do, get the replacement speaker from Eden. A bass reflex speaker cabinet is a carefully engineered system. A hit or miss speaker replacement is likely to yield disappointing performance.