1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Technology challenged & lazy bandmates....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DWBass, Aug 31, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Why do I always seem to get with musicians who are technology challenged and just plain lazy?? All have high speed internet. I constantly send mp3's and most keep saying "I don't know man, it won't play for me!" How hard is it to save an mp3 to a folder and play it using WMP (or other program)??? Secondly, as we progress, we start to see the weak links and you can tell who's actually listening to the provided songs (on cd or sent mp3's) and actually learning and memorizing the tunes! Rehearsals are a struggle for me. The band has a lot of potential but it seems it's gonna take a while for us to get to real gigging form. The guitarist is WAY behind and is starting to hold us back. We just got a keyboardist and he picked up a lot of stuff right away. I honestly don't think the guitarist is going to last when he realizes he being left behind! The male vocalist is also slow at learning material. If things don't progress a little faster and these guys don't start stepping up their games, I'm gonna suggest to the band leader to start replacing folks! We've been at this since late Spring and now it's September. It's not supposed to take this long! I've been in many bands that are ready in a months time!

Ugh! Very frustrating!

2. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I feel your pain. Perhaps suggesting gigging soon may determine whether they focus or fold.

I work in a band with three very seasoned players that "already know" the songs so they don't want to rehearse them. However, when we are on stage playing the material, we find out they are playing three different ways because that's how they "already know" the songs.:meh:

3. Any chance you could offer to go over to the guitarist's house and help him with his "computer problem." Once you show him how to do it, he won't have any more excuses. Sometimes dealing with difficult people is taking away all their excuses very deliberately. Then, they either have to do what is required, or admit their is some other issues going on (not really into the material, not committed to the band, etc).

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I could do that but they all have cd's as well!! The mp3's are pretty much tunes I'm suggesting but they get cd's on a regular basis and I just don't feel they are actually listening and working on the songs! The guitarist is our weakest link right now and if he doesn't step it up, he's gonna get left behind! He's a nice guy and we're rehearsing at his house but he's holding us back!

5. bass106

bass106

Oct 2, 2007
    Australia
    Some people have different levels of commitments to the band. For some its their job, hobby or interest, maybe you need to sit him down and work out how serious he his. The alternative option is when your lookin to replace him you make sure that you get someone interested in giging regularly and has the same level commitment as you.

6. Oh, I didn't realize he had CDs as well. In that case, it sounds like his level of commitment definitely has to be questioned. I would talk with him one on one and find out what's going on.

7. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Spot on. I just lost a band 'cos of this, but it's all for the greater good.

8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    3 or 4+ months for a CB to get ready isn't at all promising, DW. You have players who either aren't into it or up to it, and a band leader who either isn't setting goals or doesn't notice that he's set sail with the anchor down.

That could be a fun hobby band, maybe. But if your goal is steady gigging, if I were in your shoes they'd be walking toward the exit.

9. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Talk to your band...

If you are the "manager" of your band or you try to be, is the same as in a real job. People have to do their homework and do it on time.

There is a difference between jamming (goofing around) and actually rehearsing. If your "employees" don't do their job, then you have to reprimand them, and ultimately find new band mates.

It might sound to bureaucratic but some people just need some big pushing.