techs: Graphite and/or Brass on Acoustic Bass????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    finally got an acoustic bass, a stagg ACxxxxxxx whatever solid cedar top, short-scale [30"], etc whatever. this is a pretty good bass, and I have played nearly all the usual faves.

Question for the technically inclined: is it worthwhile to drop a graphite Nut onto this axe? And to the bridge saddle.... I note that it does not handle the big string well, but its not an issue of the TONE being played: i.e. play the exact same tone/frequency on the A string and it sounds pretty clear, but on the low E it sounds "thumpish". almost like there were a shim under the bridge saddle only at the low E...

i have a lot of experience at tweaking good Acoustic Guitars and it would seem a few of the same principles apply..... but with larger strings, lower harmonics, etc.

Also, concerning the bridge saddle, the stocker is a composite like Tusq or whatever: I'm wondering 2 things: what would a Brass saddle do, and what about grooving the saddle, esp for the E and A strings?

Finally, i wonder if a smaller gauge 'E' might actually produce a truer tone than the big fat [this one appears to be something like .115]

thx for any skilled advice