1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

techs: Graphite and/or Brass on Acoustic Bass????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zapp, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Gang
    finally got an acoustic bass, a stagg ACxxxxxxx whatever solid cedar top, short-scale [30"], etc whatever. this is a pretty good bass, and I have played nearly all the usual faves.

Question for the technically inclined: is it worthwhile to drop a graphite Nut onto this axe? And to the bridge saddle.... I note that it does not handle the big string well, but its not an issue of the TONE being played: i.e. play the exact same tone/frequency on the A string and it sounds pretty clear, but on the low E it sounds "thumpish". almost like there were a shim under the bridge saddle only at the low E...

i have a lot of experience at tweaking good Acoustic Guitars and it would seem a few of the same principles apply..... but with larger strings, lower harmonics, etc.

Also, concerning the bridge saddle, the stocker is a composite like Tusq or whatever: I'm wondering 2 things: what would a Brass saddle do, and what about grooving the saddle, esp for the E and A strings?

Finally, i wonder if a smaller gauge 'E' might actually produce a truer tone than the big fat [this one appears to be something like .115]

thx for any skilled advice
    z