Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tech's please help me with cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Jul 30, 2002.

1. i want to build a cab for my 15 inch scorpian speaker i have...the out side dimension must be the same as my other cab so 615mm wide and 450 mm deep, the height doesn't really matter, i will probably use 20 mm MDF to make the shell of the cab, so what would be a good height and port size for the cab?? thank you
    regards tim

2. First, buy a cabinet instead of building.

:D

If still reading this, then buy Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook". Read the whole thing and understand it all. Once complete, apply your new knowledge to finding the correct driver for your particular cabinet requirements.

You can download my Musician's Reference spread sheet in my signature, and sort the DRIVERS tab by cabinet volume. Pick a driver that matches your required cabinet volume. If none, then adjust your cabinet volume to match a driver.

Guessing at matching a driver and cabinet will yield very lousy results. You will spend a lot of time and money, and get something that sounds awful. Especially with a vented box. Sealed boxes are much more forgiving, and easier to construct by newbies.

3. All of the above, and this:

use 3/4 inch plywood. Not 20mm MDF. Your back will thank you later, and the health insurance company too.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, I used 18mm MDF in my 2x15 beast, sounds lovely but is an absolute bastard to move. If it's gonna be big, put casters on it :D There's my 'technical' tip for you. And here's my cab (thanks for the excuse to show you all this again).

PS - If you want to use that speaker then contact the company. I did that with my one and Dr. Decibel (Master of Tonal Mystery, his business card actually says that) from Celestion was REALLY helpful, suggesting shapes, sizes, port sizes etc. And they know what they are talking about, and have all the expensive programs etc.

So yeah. Have fun with it if you want to build your own, it takes ages but it's nice to be able to say to someone that you built it when they ask what it is and when they tell you it sounds really good or whatever.