Techs, what are you charging?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am starting to take on more and more repairs at my little music store, and I'm curious as to what other guys out there are charging for basic services. I'm mostly doing setups (carving nuts, fretwork, intonation adjustments, etc.), minor electronics and re-stringing. What are you guys charging for this kind of work? Do you use a cost schedule, or just charging job to job?

MODERATORS EDIT: This thread has been closed and edited to remove commercial advertising. Though unintentional, the original post was astray of the "No advertising" rule here a TB.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That sounds about right. It's what I used to charge when I worked at a music store.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The only work I've had done at a local shop (I muddle through my own setups) was a new nut - they charged $35 to carve a new one from bone. So right on par with what you've got for that.
  4. I've re-opened this thread because it can be help to everyone that reads it. However, I must caution everyone to not post lists of services and pricing. Also, if you are the one that is doing the work or owns the shop that the work is done in, take particular care to explain this relationship and not to solicit. This will help prevent the inevitable commerce that seems to be generated by these types of posts.

I'm going to monitor the goings on here for awhile till we get the hang of it.

5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I try to do as much of my own work as possible, so I don't deal w/ techs very much. When I finally had some work that I didn't want to tackle I brought it to a tech, and my experience was very bad. He had given me an oral estimate, and when I went to pick it up (after waiting awhile and calling twice to check on the status -- "I've been sick I'll get to it soon") he charged me more than twice the estimate. The work was excellent, the price and business practices were not. At minimum he should have called me when he saw that the job was going to cost more. His excuse was that he works late at night and didn't want to wake me. ***? Put the job on hold and leave a message. Shut up and give me my bass back! I will not go back to him. I have another difficult job that I think he (and maybe nobody else) could do, but I refuse to give him my business.

Whatever you end up charging, provide a written estimate and call if you're going to go over it.