1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teen Band....now what?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sixx788, Oct 5, 2008.

1. sixx788

sixx788

Jan 3, 2007
    Michigan
    My son who is 13 just met the most amazing guitarist last night who is 15, I believe. They met off craigslist. Now the guitarist has a bass player who says he is amazing. I think these 3 guys are going to sound crazy for their age....honestly. They still need a singer of course, which I imagine is going to be hard since they don't want anyone over 17 to sing for them.

I know I am looking a head a bit, but, after they get this band together....where can they play? All of them will be between 13 to 17. Do bars hire kids like this? Actually, I really don't want them in smoky bars anyway. I felt bad for them because they were excited about playing "out". But where? I hope you guys got some ideas.

Thanks!

2. I'm out of my depth here but all I can think of is

- school (either added to the bill of existing music nights etc or perhaps lunchtime gig? it worked for my school but they generally only did the lunchtime gigs as rare one offs...)

- festivals (not quite sure where / how but surely there is something local, ... art and craf or what not... could be a start?

other then that hope they hit 'bigtime' without doing the pub gigs AKA silverchair and a few other bands that started at 16!

3. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    Maybe they can start at school proms, our parties. there they can probably have the exposure they need from their peers. :smug:

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Most schools around here have battle of the bands and talent shows, try those. Also, i dont know how big your town is but we have a few places that are smoke and alcohol free places for teenagers to hang out, maybe you have one? Also, as stated before, try events around town.

5. There's a small tavern near me that I've played at a few times (good for a few bucks).
    They have a small, semi-outdoor stage that you can play on. If you don't want them being in a smoky place, then an outdoor area is great.
    And yes, they do let younger people play; I started when I was 16.

Good luck with the band!

6. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    D.I.Y. gigs are the way to go. Parties, backyards, basements. Playing for their friends is always a good way to go. School is also a good idea as others have said. If there are any rec centers around, they usually will do afternoon shows as well.

Once they pull together a lineup and have somewhat of a setlist, have them record a demo somewhere. It doesn't have to be expensive either with all of the technology available today. Having a demo CD to give away will bring attention to them and get their name out around town. Of course there is MySpace as well.

Find other teenage bands around your area and put on a gig at a local VFW hall. Outdoor stages/bandshells at public parks is another way.

Good luck to them! My son is 13 and an aspiring guitarist. He's looking to put something together too in our area.

7. ^Yeah, a demo of their work is definitely a good idea.
    One of the schools that I go to has a nice sized recording studio, and we have all the equipment needed to do professional recordings.
    http://www.rockdalecareeracademy.com/studio/index.html
    They don't charge too much to do it either.

If you can find a place like this that is run by students or something like that, it'll be a lot easier on your wallet than if you went to a professional recording studio that charges a professional price.

8. ColdSteelRain

ColdSteelRain

Jul 27, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Coffee houses or restaurants, depending on their style (jazz and blues more likely to work than death metal ;).) Are there any places you go that have any kind of live music? Youth group at church?

9. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Where I live there are multiple all-ages type shows at multiple different venues every week, except they're not well advertised and only people into "alternative" music tend to even know about them. Just start digging around in your area, most mid/large-size cities have plenty of places for underage kids to play music.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In addition to the above ideas, an idea might be to pull together a birthday party (or some other occasion) for one or more of the band members, with cooperation from all of the parents involved.

11. Shopping malls. Parking lots. Schools.

12. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    A lot of coffee shops will have stages and systems like bars do, but any age can play there. Me and by friends did it when we were like 15-16

13. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    Cafe's usually have open mic nights and "concerts".
    I can think of three off the top of my head in my local area.
    Those are the places to play because they generally have teens as their main customers.

14. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    church festivals and YOUR gigs... I don't know what your gigging situation is but if you're in a band that's playing local festivals and benefits try giving the kids a half hour of your 2-3 hour set?... they'll get to play out but not have to deal with booking right away.

Just make sure the crowd is right for both groups

15. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

What kind of music are they playing.

Around here there are a lot of all ages venues, if you look around you should be able to find some. That and school are probably the best places to play. I would avoid Battle of the Bands stuff...unless you like unfair rigging.

16. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations!

My son just turned 13 and has been the guitarist for his band for a year now.

School, festivals, and city events are your best bet to get gigs. They're also getting invitations from local bands to open for them as their getting known.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    carnivals, grand openings, birthday parties, also call all the locals cities/high schools/middle schools within a 20 miles (or whatever you're willing to drive) and find out about their entertainment policies/schedules. Some churches have carnivals every year and hire secular bands.

Your library will have past issues of your local newspaper where you can find the "current events" happening each week through out the year.

18. sixx788

sixx788

Jan 3, 2007
    Michigan

Right now they are doing quite a bit of 80's rock. Mental Health, Crazy Train, Youth Gone Wild, Red Hot....stuff of that nature.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If you're willing to be their manager, and if you're willing to travel a little bit, enter battle of the bands, small festivals, parties, schools, and community events put on by the city, county or whatever (chili cook-offs and what not).

20. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    If you play your cards right, you could make some money promoting all-ages shows, as long as you get the right bands and can find a decent, cooperative venue.