Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teen Town!! ARGHH!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Guss, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I've recently begun to attempt Teen Town. It's a very hard song, that I've spent alot of time on and am proud to say that I've gotten pretty far(Well, only the first few bars, but we're talkin' Teen Town here). Does anybody have any advice on how this song should be played on certain parts, or the whole thing? If you just want to share your frustration that would be great too.:D

2. Slow it down, use a metronome, take it slow, get the fingerings/notes right, and then slowly speed 'er up. Good choice on a piece to play. Good luck!

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Dear Terry,

Hi.

Love, Polly.

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, there isn't much to be added to what sobie said. to me, teen town seems very "lick"-like. it consists of several little riffs chained together. just get them down one by one.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Like sobie says - slow down, and use a metronome.

In terms of playing style, plucking near the bridge is good - and I find it works to do the Jazz thing of putting the accent on the off beat (i.e. in this case, the 2nd & 4th 16th notes in each beat).

6. Dear Polly,

Hi.

Love, Terry.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    the thing that is really hard about teen town is the rhythms. Tap your foot to quarter notes. start out counting 16ths get it as accurate as possible. Just play a single note. Then just count 8ths, then quarters.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    come on Teen town is easy :rolleyes: ;)
    :meh:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Terry,

I have to agree with most of the other replys... "Teen Town", definitely a nice piece to tackle!

And, as already mentioned, attack it in separate parts... it's set up something like this; Vrs-I, Vrs-II, Brdg, Vrs-I, VrsII, Ending Vamp.

'Bass'ically, it's a few boogie type melodies put together as short runs... Verse I in 'C', and Verse II in 'F' etc. (the 'F' run can be slowed down and played as a standard I, IV, V blues)

I've figured this tune out a while back, and could 'tab' it for you if you would like... or; in lot more time, possibly write it in notation?? (I have seen it tabbed on a few sites, but not always very accurate, nor tabbed in an efficient way)

If you would like a 'tabbed' version and / or some additional assistance, feel free to write and let me know at your convenience... michael s.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  11. shon

shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    Well, I think I'm going to have to say that this song should present a challenge for you. Deffinately slow it down. Maybe analize the scales he's using. THat usually helps me when I'm trying to figure out a song.