Teen Town Live

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BIg O, Aug 27, 2002.

1. I just picked up Weather Report's 8:30 live CD - missing one tune from the vinyl 2-LP set - but it is awesome!!
    During the intro to Teen Town it almost sounds like some kind of effect being used by Jaco when the bass line finally kicks in. OR is it just amazing unison playing with JZ on synth?

If it is effect - anyone know what? Did Jaco use many effects live?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its played unison with zawinul.
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I believe you're hearing the bit where Jaco is slapping the strings to create that percussive effect. He would do that a lot.

That CD absolutely burns. The live version of Birdland just kills, I love the swing feel as opposed to the straight 16th feel of the original recording. Black Market just cooks and A Remark You Made as well as In a Silent Way are just wonderful.

I'm going to have to listen to that now. :D
  4. On my headphones in the office right now!:cool:
  5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Nope...that's Zawinul playing in unison. BTW, he plays the line in unison with Jaco on the studio version as well.

Just heard that Sony Music is about to release "Weather Report: Live and Unreleased"(or titled something like that) on or about Oct 1 of this year :eek: :D :D

Has a couple cuts from about '74 of the band with Alphonso Johnson, the rest (and majority) with Jaco on the '77 tour with Alex Acuna and Manolo Badrena, and the '79 and '80 tours with Peter Erskine (Shorter and Zawinul in all bands of course).
  6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well yeah, I thought it was general knowledge that Zawinul doubled the lead line with his left hand... I was thinking he meant the odd scratching/percussive stuff that happens _before_ the head of the tune starts.

Yeah, Zawinul has a mean left hand.. a lot of that solo stuff on the ride out of "Birdland" is Zawinul's left hand playing an Arp that is reversed (high notes on the left, low notes on the right). He's comping changes and playing the melody with his right hand at the same time. I hate people that can do all that stuff at once. :D
  7. Hey Beermonkey - I was asking about the lead line, but I knew exactly what you meant as soon as I read it. :cool:

Although I listened to a lot of cool stuff when I was a kid in the 70's (jaco, weather report, return to forever, ron carter, coltrane (after he was gone unfortunately), miles, stanley c, TOP, etc) there weren't many sources of facts about the players/tunes for a teenager other than liner notes - if you had the LP's. Mostly I heard/taped stuff from FM radio. Since I got back into playing a short while ago, I've discovered a lot of what I should have but often never knew.