Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teen Town sheet music inconsistency

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Okay, so I have two copies of Teen Town. I keep one copy at home for practice and one in my locker at college for rehearsals. Upon closer inspection of the music I use at rehearsals, the second page basslines were different in rhythm and notes. I compared this sheet music to what Jaco plays, and it's different.

The result is that I am playing it correctly (I learned the basslines from the copy of music I have at home, which is correct), but the other bassist in the band (we're doing a bass duo thing -- I'm actually the keyboardist) learned it from the school copy.

And we're supposed to play those lines in unison. On one hand I don't want to have to relearn those lines, and on the other hand, I don't want to piss him off by asking him to relearn his.

Uh oh.

Maybe we should take turns playing the lines or something?

Moral of the story: pay special attention to the sheet music you're using for Teen Town. :)

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Like they say, "to assume makes an ass of U and me" ;)

You'd better talk to the other guy as soon as possible - it's a learning experience (truly) and one of the important lessons is to deal with problems like this when you spot them.

You might find that you can get by with playing some parts as "question and answer" between the two instruments (where it doesn't matter if the answer doesn't come from the same score as the question as long as it's in the right ball park harmonically speaking) and also by repeating some of the material you learned from page one rather than the diverging variations on page two.

Good luck!

Wulf

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's Jazz!! There's no reason why it should be played exactly the same way each time!! ;)

I have at least 3 different, recorded versions....

4. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    IMO, you should "take one for the team" and ask the guy what he thinks. If he's cool with relearning it the "right" way, then that's easy for you. Otherwise, it sounds like it won't be too much trouble for you to relearn the parts, since you've already been practicing off the other chart. It doesn't really matter which version anyway, since Jaco and everybody else never play it the same way twice.

One interesting thing to note about that song, I first picked it up and went "one page, no problem" and I was dying after the first measure.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Only 3? ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I did say "at least" - what I meant was that many of them, may have exactly the same "head" - but I know at least 3 of them are completely different!!

7. I think we should do the "question and answer" thing there, too. We're already doing it on the first page, so I guess it'd just make things more consistent. Anyone relearning something in this song would be a bad choice considering we're playing it in a concert in about 2 weeks.

8. johnhrobiii

johnhrobiii

Oct 2, 2010
    Did you know that Ketter Betts and Jaco were originally DRUMMERS? Now,how about that!!! johnhrobiii