1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teen Town

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by flowinowen, Jun 11, 2014.

1. I'm currently working on learning some heads/licks from different instruments I play with, and today it was the electric bass! I worked Teen Town up for a grad school audition, but never ended up playing it. So, I'd like to try it out on the bass world today. Any thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticisms are welcome. Also- any thoughts on the recording itself is welcome too. Its a blending technique I'm trying. I'm NOT left handed either!! Sorry about that. Thanks for the listen!

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Cool--I like it. I was expecting something very different, and it was a nice surprise to hear it slowed down and bluesed/funked up.

3. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Good Bromberg-style rendition.

4. Thanks Lee, I wanted to put up something that wasn't so fast you couldn't understand my phrasing. And jd, what is Bromberg style? Thanks for the listen

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    BTW: I've been really digging the concept he pushes for DB. The stuff he does on Freedom jazz dance is really off the hook. He does grace us with his presence here at TBDB once in a while.

7. Man that is cool. Thanks for the link!

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think it sounds really good and clean. If I had a suggestion, it would be to make it more three dimensional in terms of accenting, so that we can hear more of the rhythmic framework implied behind the line. I'm not sure what you are listening to on your headphones in this clip - is it just the signal from your bass, or is there some kind of groove in the cans you are playing to?

9. Thanks Chris. Those are the AKG K240 semi open phones. I bought them mainly for rehearsal settings. In this case, I'll run my audio setup just to try out new techniques for mixing/recording. I've got a String Charger running here. I'll definitely keep working on those accents though!

10. I dig your tempo and feel man. You always hear electric players rip through that tune even faster than Jaco played it live and it really loses a lot of the nuance when people do that imo.