Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teen Town!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Feb 3, 2005.

1. That was cool - but it is a bit sloppy and the energy could/should be up a couple more gears - the original has a very 'nervous' kind of vibe - like it's really on the edge - you guys souonded a little stoned ;) - which isn't a bad thing but if you're looking for constructive criticism that's mine - but you're all getting there - it's a tough one to nail which is why I've never recorded a version I'd share with others - I can play it but not as well as I'd like - though I do do a neat looper version like Manring...anways keep at it the vibe was pretty nice over all.

Cheers

M

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I dug it. It was a lot better than I've heard most people play it (you know, 'cept that Jack O. guy)

3. Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, I know it needs to be a lot tighter -- especially the end. It's ironic because shortly after the concert I started playing Teen Town a lot cleaner and overall better. Oh well, hopefully there will be future oportunities; I really love that song.

It's funny, because I spend so much time practicing double-thumb pop and all that Vic stuff, but as soon as I get on stage with all the excitement and stuff, I go back to slapping bass like Flea -- which isn't bad, but it's just a bit less sophisticated. :)

I tried to mix in a bit of the Brian Bromberg interpretation of Teen Town in there, hence the groovy flavor to it. Check out his version of it: it's really sweet! In case you haven't heard it, he plays it in half-time with swing on his upright bass.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Wow... that sounds really cool! It hasn't the nervous vibe of the original, but your version gives a little relaxed jazzy feeling to it. And I really dig that!

The fretless (does it have a piezo..?) should perhaps exploit the laidback feeling in it a little more. IMHO you can play the groove almost like a walking bassline. The tempo is really ok for it I think. I find this very attractive to your version guys! It gives me ideas.... :p

Don't change it to the nervous feeling of the original... please! Everybody has done that, and you explicitely turn it into something different. Perhaps if you would give this vibe a little extra, you should diminish the drumsection a bit, so that the sound is even more open. Together with that walking bass story of mine it would be almost perfect.

I really like it... keep on playing!

5. The fretless is one of those fretless jazz basses. Looks just like Jaco's. :)

That's a cool idea! I was definitely hearing a swing to the beat rather than straight eighths.

Check out Brian Bromberg's version:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LHYJ/102-1764425-2892917?v=glance

He has a really cool solo later on, I wish you could hear it.

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks for the link.. I'll be looking for that album when I 'm going to visit the new jazz cd shop in our town within short time.

If you might be changing the song a bit, I would be glad to hear it, when recorded. Your band sounds really cool to me.

7. Personally, I feel that the band lacks a little bit of energy. Other than that it's cool. I also could wish for a little bit more of your bass sound during the slapping. I can't really hear your bass, if you understand me.
    But hey, I really enjoyed listening to it and there was lots of good stuff in there!

8. Heheh, yeah, there was about 15 minutes of mixing done. We only had about 3 monitors for the entire band, and little control of our mixes, so it was by far not an ideal situation.

What's funny is that I never treated the band like a "band." It's always been like the "school band" for me, so I just come in and play. Not to say I don't put effort into it.

Whoo-ee, I just noticed the Teen Town link in your signature Norwegianwood. I also recognize the GM drums. Nice bass playing! :)

9. Nice job Geoff. Sounds like you're concentrating too much (easy for me to say, I've never tried playing it). That 'yoing' sound is tight indeed!

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice one :) , I've been studying that song myself, and I know it isn't easy to pin down. How long have you guys been playing?

11. I been playing bass for 3 years now. Not sure about the other players. As a group, we had been playing for about 3-4 months. (which is probably why our groove isn't as tight as it should be)