Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teen Town

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Oct 28, 2000.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This is a basic music theory question. Any help is appreciated. I'm sure that this will be easy to some of this site's more experienced members.

'Teen Town' is basically a melody improvised over a repeated four bar sequence. I believe that the sequence is C13, A13, F13, D13. (A x13 chord is the same as x6, ie. R-3-5-6). I have got that sequence written down somewhere, but I've left it at home. Correct me I've got that wrong.

Anyway, there is key change part way through the song to C#. Sorry to sound stupid, but how does this affect the composition of each of the chords? What will the sequence change to?

I can play the melody - that's the hard bit. The problem is playing this kind of stuff with other people - I always struggle to work out what key I'm playing in.

I need to know these chords so I can write out a chart, as I'm auditioning guitarists over the next fortnight for my own band that I'm putting together.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

David

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    According to Cliff Engel's "Teen Town" transcription at http://www.bassically.net, the song modulates from C to E, not C#. From looking at just the bassline (I've never heard the song before), it seems to me that the roots in the E section are E, A, F# and C#. I'm no Carol Kaye, though; feel free to correct me.

3. There is a beautifully Transcribed version the The World's
    Greatest Fake Book, Chuck Sher Publishing.You are correct on the first sequence of Chords, That's the A section-
    16 bars of C13-A13-F13- D13.
    The 2nd ending is a preparation for the modulation- 8 bars of A13-F13-D13-C13
    Leading into the B section, Which is bassically a 4-bar recap of the intro (same chords-C13-A13-F13-D13)Leading into the Key change of E Maj -8 bars of E13-C#13-A13-F#13.

Which brings us to the C section- E13-C#13-A13-F#13 (repeated 3X)them 16 more bars of the same,Then a sustained E13 for 4 bars. 2 bar drum fill, and then the last two bars
    E7 hit on the and of 3, and last bar-is Quarter rest, F#/A,
    E/D, G.
    Whew! clear as mud, huh?

[Edited by reedo35 on 10-28-2000 at 04:12 PM]

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the information everyone. I must have three or four transcriptions of 'Teen Town' - I can clearly see the change to E. I can't think why I said C#. Please don't think of me as being that stupid! :)

David