Teenage Arthritis.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't know what's going on with my right hand. Iv'e recently been feeling major joint pains and I don't know what's up. I have a healthy diet, and my hand's in good hand-shape. Now, I've been having trouble grabbing and squeezing things. This has not hurt my bass playing at all, but when I pick up my bass by the neck, I get pains in my wrist and fingers. All the joints ache. It's also been hurting a little when I bowl too. I'm only 17 too :-\
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. Tendonitus(sp?) perhaps?

Maybe try laying off the bass playing/wrist usage for a while, or get a brace and see if that helps.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tis my guess. Had it on the back of left hand, tendons there, for a while.
  5. Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I had carpal tunnel problems when I was about 19 and had to have the surgery. I was having problems holding anything tightly and was dropping things like pens and pencils.
    I went to a sports medicine doctor and found out it was the way I was holding a pick. I changed to fingerstyle after this was over.

Here's a quick test. It's not definitive but something to try.
    take your 4 fingers and pull them back in an upward direction as far as you can and hold for 10 seconds. This should fully extend your wrist. Next go the opposite way and push on the top of your hand and hold for 10 seconds. In either of the 2 positions did your fingertips start to go numb. Your putting pressure on this area when you do this and putting pressure on the tendons that run through your carpal tunnel.
    Either way you should probably get it checked.
    There's a simple electical test that they can do to rule out CTS.
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I thought the title was the name of your band. Silly me!