1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Teenage Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by aarono, Apr 12, 2006.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking about starting a band with kids my age (roughly 14-17), it'd be nice if they could all drive but that may not be possible.

Anywho, onto my question. If you're in a band with teens or even a band of older fellers how do you go about performing covers/original tunes? I'm sure most here don't approach it from a TAB perspective, but as you know teens are not usually well versed in notation/playing by ear so it may be our only option. Even if we did start this route I'm sure we could generally evolve over time into a more educated band.

Just wish to know how you guys did it/do it.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Everyone is responsible for learning their own parts on their own time. You put it all together at rehearsals.

3. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Why let age be a barrier? Just go on and learn your music theory! It's never too early(or too late) to start. If it's possible, START NOW! :) Trust me, if everyone in the band know the very basic of music theory, the whole band would be built on solid ground, musically.

I wish I learned that when I first started out as a bassist.

Edit: Whoops, I got carried away. To answer your question, my band would play both original/cover tunes. If it's a cover song, then we would listen and practice by ourselves and put everything together during practice or jamming sessions. As for the original songs, someone would have to write it and he/she would have an idea of how it should sound. The song writer then present the song to the band and tell us how it's suppose to go, the tempo, etc..etc.. and we work on it from there. With everyone present, that is.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Well, the way I do it is, I play the song by ear first, then get tabs and compare, change what is appropriate, try different combos of notes, add a few here and there I think is suitable, and stick with the results. Sometimes my bass lines are close but no cigar, sometimes they're the exact same, depending on how fun the song is to play.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Simplicity at its best! This is spot on! :bassist:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - anything else is just wasting everybody's time and liable to lead to frustrating and possibly even acrimonious sessions...:meh:

7. Well in my opinion i think you should play with your band of mates, and continue your schooling or work till a little later down the track. Then think about doing something bigger. Just get the experience. But how to go about it, ive no idea

8. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Well, when I was first starting out, the World Wide Web and Online TAB didn't exist, so we had to learn everything we did by ear. We had no other choice. I still learn the vast majority of cover material in the same manner today, almost 30 years later. ;)

Best of luck and have fun!! :bassist:

9. Yeah - tell your mates your thinking of putting a school band together...they may be interested, they may not - if not then just put adverts up round school.

If you start a band (or...ya never know, someone at the school may need a bassist in THEIR band) - play any chance you can get in school (I know, 2 or 3 a year if your lucky...) but just have a go and see what you can come up with...a couple originals, 4-5 covers and you've got a set...

ROCK ON!:bassist:

10. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I want to start a 3 bassist band, but I just don't see it happening in this town.

11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I'd say that would have kind of a limited appeal.

12. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    To the listener or musicians to join the band?

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    they should just learn. i started with chord sheets for guitars, but then learned how to play by ear naturally over time. i don't really use tabs, sometimes i use chord sheets if i wanna learn a song quick or i'm just winging it, but it's still good to be able to play by ear and hear everything in a song.

14. Playing by ear is for wimps. Learn to play by feel. The vibrations coming from the bass to your arms is all you need! ;)

But seroiusly, just stress what's been said before. Learn the part at home, practice at rehearsal. And jam alot. Alot. Just keep it fun too! Good luck.

15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Both

16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That would be original...

roth14.

17. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    well ive seen a band with 2 drums, bass and piano, and i thought for sure that the drums would get in the way of each other. but they worked cleverly together.

if you want 3 bassists, each of you will have to have a different role. you can all play bass lines otherwise youll tread on each others toes so to speak, not in playing style but clashing notes as well.

it would certainly make an interesting piece of music if you got it to work. ive played with 2 other bass players on a piece called Conference of the Birds by dave holland. for the head of the song it was straightfoward because there are 3 parts already written out. soloing was trickier though.

in that piece 3 basses worked, but i cant imagine being able to do that on every song.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Music and musicianship can be a long and wonderful journey, especially if you really love it. If you keep a big picture in mind and try to discover yourself in the process, that is nice.

When I started, I used tab. Tabs are not always accurate, but they can give you a general idea. After a while, I started jamming my bass to whatever was on the radio, and this helped train my ear. I know enough about theory at this point and have a pretty acute ear so I can pick up all but the most technical bass lines pretty quickly, just by listening. I've been playing for 9 years though.

Explore covers, explore your own ideas too once you have the skills.

19. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Honestly, most of the tab on the net just isn't correct. There are a few places that still manage to provide accurate tabs (guitar/bass magazines seem to have the best tabs), but the majority of it is crap that you would do better by ear anyway.

It's a good skill to have.

To answer your question, don't worry about gigging just yet. Just enjoy playing some music. I remember my first jam session was "Ok, play G. Now C. Now D. Ok, now repeat that..." and we did that for about an hour, with me doodling on my newly learned pentatonic scale.

Just play play play. Jamming is great, even if it is the same chord sequence for a long time. You learned to speak by making the same sounds over and over again until you learned enough vocabulary to choose the correct words. You learn music the same way.

Play. It will come.

20. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    It would be what I want. If I wanted to do something that's never been done I'm sure I could of did some research to make sure no other band has done it.