Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

teenage/dad's lament about amps/cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mark jaccarino, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mark jaccarino

mark jaccarino

Jul 3, 2005
    my thirteen year old son plays stand-up bass in the middle school orchestra and electric bass in a punk/power pop band.
    upgrading his cabs/amp this year and bass guitar in two years. playing thru a rumble 25 now.....all set to purchase a gallien-kruger 1001rb-ii and a 410sbx with 115sbx-ii (total with tax $1632) looking for a rig that will last thru high school and college. the catch!!! some eden used equipment has been made available to me. wt 300($550) d210xlt($425) and d115xlt($350) total $1325 all pre-us music corp. excellent excellent condition. will it be loud enough? is the cab configuration ok for punk music? his guitarist band mates will be upgrading at xmas. will 300 eden watts be loud enough? quality issues? 4x10's? thanks mark

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That should be plenty, but the prices seem a tad steep for used gear. There has been much discussion about value amps, and the general consensus is that Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) or Dr. Bass speakers are some of the best in the price range. GK is up there too. As for heads, check out the Kustom Groovebass, Traynor YBA-200, Yorkville 800, or the GK he wants. There are also tons of options used (I got my Mesa Boogie rig used for about $1000). But make sure he tries before he buys.

3. Seems like my dream christmas. Wake up, go downstairs only to find a full Eden rig underneath the tree.

Very cool father

4. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Eden and GK are totally different animals tonally. I'm in the GK 1001 camp but paired with Bag End cabinets. Rik's music not sure of the URL but Google should turn that up easily. My 1001 RB II was $600 USD delivered.

I didn't think the little Eden was a very loud 300 watts. The Eden cab's seem to be pretty efficient though so maybe that WT300/D115T/D210 setup works...

6. Yeah your son may appreciate the extreme headroom that the GK has to offer, I made the switch from a WT-400 to a 1001RB-II, and man.. what a change. The WT-400 was a piss weak 400 watts (IMO).

If you do go the GK route you might be interested in pairing it up with a set of Avatars (as someone mentioned earlier) as opposed to the SBX series cabs. Cheaper, and probably better in the long run. Just read all the glowing reviews.

7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Will you be my daddy?

8. I'd also agree that the GK would be a better choice of head over the Eden 300, both in volume and tone in my opinion.

I've done small venue tours with the d210xlt, and it's a great little cabinet. It sounds much bigger than it's small stature implies. If he plans on playing small venues, touring in a vehicle with less than ideal cargo capacity, or be taking public transit in college this cab might be a good route to go just for the versatility. You could put it on top of either a 1x15 or a 4x10 as well depending on the kid's preference for a bottom cab (personally, I'd go with a 4x10 for punk).

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    amen to that!

10. I agree that you should get the GK1001rb-II instead of the WT300. At the same price, the new GK is a better deal. Maybe go for the Eden cabs and the GK head. I can recommend Avatar cabs as an alternative also. They're ported so they should be louder than the sealed SBX cabs, and they're built just as well as the GK cabs.

11. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    That Eden wt300 head will not have enough power to drive both those cabs together. I would get the Eden cabs and then find a more powerful head if it were me.