1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teenaged band, from scratch.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fetfet, Oct 1, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Hey,

Thinking of starting a cover band, but have no friends who play instruments who also are not in bands. I have two options as I see it.

- get more friends

- see 1

But if there are other options, then make them known.

2. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Go to your local guitar stores, where they give lessons, and post a flyer. Craig's list is another option.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    i'd do that in a second, but i don't want 45 year old men with illegal intentions calling my phone at all hours.

4. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Then make a new email address from yahoo, hotmail, etc, just for this purpose.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When I was in school, there were other students who played, and I had no idea that they did until they crawled out of the woodwork. For this reason, I am betting that casting your net a bit wider will be all you need to do. Maybe a note on a bulletin board at school, in the band room, something like that.

I sat next to a guy in math class for the better part of a school year. Imagine my surprise when I found out that he was a fellow bass player. Not only that, but he had two tickets to a concert and asked me if I wanted to go with him to see Jaco Pastorius!

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    A whole bunch (most?) of TB'rs are not friends before they start or get in a band.

There must be other guys in bands in your school. Ask around and talk to them. Maybe they know some other guys and they know some other guys....(rinse and repeat).

That's the way it goes. There's no magic.

Based on your profile, your amp will need to upgraded before rehearsing with a drummer.

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Well post them in your school then, duh.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Learn all the other instruments and teach them to your friends. :) You'd be surprised how many peole have done this.

or...

Don't worry about a band. Just start learning as many covers as you can and learn them inside out and upside down. A band will then find you.

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I started playing in bands in high school like a lot of people. All the above posts are good.

1. Post Classified ads in musician forums
    2. Fliers at music stores (this one seems to have died in my area though)
    3. Be honest with the guys you talk to before playing so everyone is aware of skill level. You might find a couple of older guys who are willing to work with you even though you don't have a lot of experience. I learned a lot by playing with guys already in their 20's when I was still in high school (both musically and otherwise).
    4. Remember, you're a bass player....so you are always in demand!

10. Bwuk Bwuk

Bwuk Bwuk

Jun 4, 2007
    Norway
    Didn't Johnny Cash do this? Or did i get the wrong impression out of the movie?

11. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've posted an ad on craigslist, and so far no replies. I'll try going to a public place, and advertising there.

Is it feasible to place an ad at school?

12. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just sneak into the Principal's office and announce it on the loudspeakers. :D

13. You went, right? How was it?

14. I've just started playing, and have heard this before. Curious if it's actually true (and/or, HOW true is it?)

15. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    From what I've been told, there are so few bass players, and so many stupid guitarists playing bass, and if you can get your hands on a bass player, that's awesome.

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It was inspiring. It must have been 1981 or 1982. Instrumentation was keyboard, bass, drums, steel drum, and bass clarinet, but I am not sure who the personnel were. It was in an old theater with maybe 1000 seats. When the gig ended, the band vanished and the hall went dark. People were of course shouting for an encore. Then we heard all sorts of strange noises and the huge Wurlitzer theater organ console rose up out of the stage with Jaco playing it!

17. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    "teenage band" not "teenaged band"

k thx

18. Yes, it's true.

If you're competent and have decent gear- there's always a job for you.