Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teese RMC3 vs. Automagic Earthquake

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by matt326, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I'm currently trying to decide which one of these wahs to buy. My searches here have not turned up any head-to-head reviews/comparisons. They are close enough in price that it is not an issue. I am normally very leary of buying gear that I have not played/heard. Unfortunately, there is no possibility of AB'ing the two anywhere close to this area. I know that the RMC is true bypass, but am not sure about the Earthquake. I also have no idea about customer service on the Earthquake. Mr. Teese obviously enjoys a reputation for untouchable CS. Lastly, a description of the tone of each would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Haven't tried the Teese, but I had the Earthquake for a bit - it does have a true bypass. I think the big difference is that the Teese is a "standard" wah - where it sits toe down and you rock it back, whereas the Automagic sits toe up (like the Dunlop and Morely). But, I could be wrong. Teese is way more flexible (custom mods) and possibly way more expensive. My guitar buddy had a Teese Wizard wah and it was the best I've ever heard.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've had both and spent a fair amount of time comparing the two, tryin' to figure out which one I liked better. End result: I sold the RMC3 and the Earthquake is my main wah (also have a Dunlop 105Q that I use on occasion).

Both are very good wahs... however, I spent a lot of time tweaking the RMC3, with input from Geoffrey (great guy...very helpful, btw) and still wasn't entirely satisfied with the sound. To my ears, the low end of the sweep sounded somewhat 'bloomy' and even too "big" (hard to imagine), and I just couldn't dial in the right change.

However, the mid-range and top-end of the sweep are outstanding, IMO. If you tend to use the middle and foot-down position of the wah a lot in your playing (e.g. with high-register solos), I think you'd be very happy with the RMC3...I like to use a wah when playing low-register notes as well, and use the 'down' positions in the sweep a fair amount, so it didn't quite do it for me. Finally, the transition from the low to mid range on the RMC3 was not quite a gradual as I'd have liked...again, something that could probably be tweaked but I never ended up improving it much even after spending some time with it.

I preferred the switchless design of the Earthqauke to the switch of the RMC3, and most importantly, the dry sound can be blended with the wet sound on the Earthquake. I often don't like it when pedals do this (to my ears, it often ends up sounding like two separate sounds in parallel as opposed to a single cohesive sound), but it works great on the Earthquake. You can also switch it to 'wet' only (so that it would sound like the RMC3), and the choice of freqs and 'contours' (I forget what Earthquake actually calls these) is handy. Low end of the sweep works great, and the mid- and high-end also sound great.

Couple other things to consider: the Earthquake is considerably bigger than the RMC3. The RMC3 does allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the footswitch that turns it on, which is nice. Over-simplifcation, but I think the Earthquake can be made to sound like the RMC3, whereas the RMC3 cannot really get the blended sound (if you want this) of the Earthquake...I end up using this the most.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    mgmadian - I think you bought mine, back in my lesforprez days. Glad you're diggin' it.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes indeed... it's workin' well over here. thanks again...

6. Thanks for the help. I will probably end up with the Automagic. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. You were helpful as usual. :bassist: