1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teiscobird projects

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Dec 6, 2016.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I just bought this (60's) Teisco (Del Rey, Silvertone, St George, etc) body on eBay. It is mahogany and stripped. Earlier this year I bought a Del Rey which I love. It's 30" short scale but due to its massive hs it is a bit longer than a Fender Jazz. (!) It's got flats and hot single-coils and sounds great and is a blast to play. I think I will build this into a 34" scale with a (matte black painted) maple/rosewood Epi T-bird neck I have. The body is pretty much as big as a Jazz and is 1.5" deep, which has grown to be my favorite. (Fenders are 1 3/4") The bridge (thinking a black Hipshot KickAss) will need to move south on the body and from the sellers pics it looks like someone already filled screw holes from the original mid-position bridge. It will create a T-bird length bass (around 49.5" long) but unlike a bird the upper horn although not at the 12th fret should be enough to allude neck dive. I've traced the pg and control plate on my Del Rey and need to determine what pu arrangement I will do. I have a small stash of various pu's to consider regardless of the routs - sky's the limit for now. I do like the Darkstars and this bass could be a good candidate for one or two.

Anyway, another project is born! :)

Image 1.jpg

Image.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Sub'd! There's something about those toggle switches that I find captivating. I must find a source.

3. My first project bass was one of these... nasty, nasty stuff. Thankfully I don't have any pictures of my crimes against timber and luthiery. Looking forward to see what you do, coz I know it'll be a LOT better. ;)

Novarocker and JIO like this.
  4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    If you find something - please let me know as I would love to re-introduce them on this build! I dig them because you can switch both pu's off easily - like a kill-switch.

mapleglo likes this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    :)

6. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Rocker Switches Rock! sub'd.

I just did a quick google search, couldn't find any like that but maybe you can find a cheap keyboard and cannibalize it.

hillerup and Novarocker like this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I just found some on eBay and bought 2 Rickenbacker NOS amp switches from the 60's (!) - 1960s Vintage Unsold Rocker Switches - Rickenbacker Transonic - Ampeg - Mutron | eBay looks like 8 more are available if interested @mapleglo

Image%203_zps7keldgol.jpg

They're not exactly the same - my Teisco has flat rockers and these will stick out more being folded/crimped/angled… same idea. I like that they are as old as the body (60's) and NOS (never used) I'll make them work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    JIO likes this.
  9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    x2 on the cannibalization of a cheap old bontempi or the like. :D The other option for rocker switches is automotive applications...

JIO likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I flat-blade scraped the hs bevel - like it! Will cut a new gloss black tr cover for it - I like the sheen contrast.

IMG_0770_zpst3d6a4mx.jpg

Love everything about this graphic!
    IMG_0771_zpsecc3yqp8.jpg

…so possibly something like this on the tr cover?
    IMG_0772_zpsct5mpoyr.jpg

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Black Hipshot KickAss bridge ordered - these are adjustable from 2-1/16" and I'm estimating I'll be around 2-1/8" so these are perfect. The Schaller 3-D and this new Hipshot are my faves right now for dialing exact string widths. Both well designed bridges with the KA coming in a bit less $ than the Schaller. Each vary in design, so depending on the specific aesthetics - either will work just as well functionally. While searching, I noticed that Gotoh has a new 'high-end' bridge with variable material/part options to dial specific tonal pallets… (more $$) and not as side-to-side adjustable. I very much like the HS/KA because it is so simple - clean no-frills design based on the Leo Quan BA but much better. It's obvious this was a CAD design - and the picture below looks to be the product of the current 'state-of-the-art' computer rendering. (as in, too perfect to be real)

Image%202_zps3r31fehj.jpg

franksidebottom and ColinLP like this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ah, so you're the buyer. Saw it listed and was intrigued, but I'm a no-pickguard kinda guy. Looking forward to watching you work your magic!

JIO likes this.
  13. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    JIO likes this.
  14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I saw it but wasn't really interested but saw that the seller was clueless about what it was, so I sent him info on it. We had a couple back & forth's and then I started to get interested in it and I offered a reduced price and he accepted. I was prepared to be happy if he didn't want to sell it for less. I'm always interested in overall good design and that includes pick-guards (or not)! ;) The only (2) basses I own made of mahogany are the Del Rey and my '64 T-bird - so this will be a homage build to both of them!

Winoman and ctmullins like this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
  16. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I colored you bass up for you. and added a hook to the lower pickguard

Attached Files:

Winoman, JIO, Duder and 1 other person like this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Love the Tiesco tuning keys.

JIO likes this.
  18. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Jio this looks wicked awesome! Those bodies are so cool looking, and that bird neck looks fantastic with it. Sub'd for sure, I'm excited to see where you take it.

Kubicki Fan and JIO like this.
  19. sugarsand

sugarsand

Mar 1, 2009
    california
    I have one piece mahogany fretless thunderbird project(w/gibson single pat.pending pu.) And a Teisco J bass, stock, that I love to play, Maybe you'll have the one bass, like the two I have, in one bass. Cool! I may have posted these pic before sorry for being redundant. I really like thunderbirds and Teiscos. Ok I have a too many bass problem. It's hard to stop.

Make sure pickups are mounted under the harmonics, ok... del ray beautiful!

thunderbird (2).jpg 12196186_10153394901263743_2281041244886209615_n.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    hillerup, JIO and ctmullins like this.
  20. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Very interesting.
    What flats are you using on yours?

JIO likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020