1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRADED Tele Bass Neck - Off Modern Player Tele - Square Heel

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Antisyzygy, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Price:
    This is a Tele bass neck from a Modern Player Fender Telecaster bass. Square heel. Asking 80 + shipping. Feel free to make an offer.

I have pictures and an auction receipt to verify that this was once a Modern Player Tele neck.

I'm moving out of state and I won't have time to do anything with this neck for a long time. I figured I'd sell it and just reevaluate a project I'm doing when I settle in where I'm going.

For trades, only interested in a hardshell bass case that would fit a Fender P. Otherwise, I might do a BOSS effects pedal (distortion for bass, octaver, bass synth, chorus for bass) or some sort of micro amp head that would be good for practicing.

I stripped the finish on this neck off the headstock and back of the neck. The goal was to have a poly, gloss finish on the fretboard then a satin poly finish everywhere else. I was refinishing because the previous owner removed a bunch of finish off the headstock and it just looked funny and was difficult to get looking right, so I figured I'd go all out.

I have this sanded to 400 grit, also I wetted, then sanded again to remove any scales so it was ready to test some stain. I'd say there is a bit more sanding to do but 90% of it's done. The shape of the neck wasn't changed very much if at all as the poly finish had the tinting mixed in I believe. It still fits a tele bass heel pocket, I verified this by putting it in a tele bass body.

I started staining the neck heel to try and get my stain close to the original vintage tint color. Unfortunately it didn't work out like i planned, but I think you should be able to remove the top coat by sanding, then you can add some yellow stain to brighten it up a bit. After that add your usual vintage tint stain to get colors matching.

There is a ding near the heel of the neck, as well as a couple dings on the headstock. The headstock dings got sanded so they're not very noticeable anymore. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape. It's ready for finish work and tuners! Comes with nut.

IMG_2532.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    StreetScenes and kkaarrll like this.
  2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've never played one of these basses... How would you say it compares (shape, contours, frets, nut, etc) to a Precision neck, like a '62, for example? Also, will you ship to Canada?

3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    It's a modern P bass shape. I can ship to Canada as long as I just need to drop it off at the post office :)

Fretboard is 9.5" radius, nut is 1.625", synthetic bone nut, medium jumbo frets, C shape profile.

A traditional tele bass neck is different. This is more of a modern variation.

4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Trade for a hardshell happening.... :)