Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tele bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    local shop has a '69(?) tele bass for sale for about $1000. You can see if you hold it at an angle that there is a punchout (but never cut) spot for a bridge pickup. whoever owned it prior to trading it in also put a string-thru bridge on it. It played great and sounded really nice too. had the original pickup in it too with the adjustable poles. anyone else have one of these basses?

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

2. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Hey Acacia,

It sounds like your bass did have a bridge pickup at one time, and was comverted back , probably in the hopes of better trade or resale. The tele never did come with a bridge pickup. IMHO What you are seeing is a repair that was covered with a refinish job.The replacement bridge is evidence that the bass may have been modified further. It sounds like you are describing the model that has a big honkin" EB0 type humbucker, lots of these were tweaked because the tone was too muddy for some players. Glad you like it though ! I aint an authority but a grand sounds like a lot of dough for a modded type tele 2. If Dude is looking in, he can probably tall you what it might be worth.

RED J [​IMG]

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oh, I didn't buy it! just played it. i'm still paying off the bass i have now [​IMG]

the shop claimed that the indentation where a bridge pick-up would be is factory made. but oh well. not my problem, eh?

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I have a 71. It has the thin single coil pickup. I didn't think they put the big EB0 type in them until like 73 or 74. I've never seen a Tele bass with a bridge pup.

------------------
    Paul

5. The string thrugh the body bridges were on all early Fender basses. The tele bass should have one single coil pickup in the mid position. Most old basses were improved? by people and lose their value as collectors items. In its original condition the telebass is a good bass for country music.

------------------
    Carl

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  7. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Hey Guys,
    I went back and did a little research and according to Steve Barr of Vintage Bass Traders, the single coil T- bass was made from 68-71, and the T-II from 72-77. Yes the one you found on E-bay is the one I made reference to, the Telecaster II. I was pretty sure because I stood right in front of John Mc Vie as he played one at a concert in 1972. The Dimarzio type one replacement for that is supposed to have a more balanced range, I don't know by first hand experience though. I do however know you can see the "shadow" of a filled bridge pickup rout thru a refin because I have a Peavey bass body next to my foot under my desk that tells the same story. :)^)

RED J [​IMG]

8. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Saw Sting the other night and he played what looked like a 69 or so T-1. It was pretty beat up, but it sounded great. It was a good show, but my wife was pissed that he didn't do "Ain't no Sunshine".
    BTW, any body know where I can get the "Acoustic Live in Newcastle" CD from 91. It's the only one I know of that has a recording of this.

------------------
    Paul

9. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Isn't that actually an early 50's P, like the T basses were modeled after ? '54 or so in vintage ?

RED J [​IMG]

10. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    You are correct. [​IMG] It's a 54 Precision. The difference is so subtle (The pickguard is a hair larger on the P, I think) I thought it was a Tele. I think that's the first early Precision I've seen without the pickup cover on it.

------------------
    Paul

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RED J:
    Isn't that actually an early 50's P, like the T basses were modeled after ? '54 or so in vintage ?
    RED J [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, a '54 P bass.. A lot of people mistake the original P bass for a Tele single coil bass, because the Tele looks like a ripoff of the original design.

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The 51-P-bass reissues are great basses. Japanese made and they sound and feel great. They look like teles or teles look like 51s. they have the string through the body. The pickup is a little wimpy on the bass and mids. Rio Grande makes an exact replacement in three tone and hotness varieties. Look in the guitar/bass player buyers guide Rio Grande/Alamo music I think. I bought the Muy Grande. The reissue neck is jazz size so it's not as exact as the teles some of which had baseball sized necks. They come in sunburst like Stings '54 or blond with black pickguard. Also the 54 has a sculpted body like a p-bass where the tele is slab sided like the original p-basses.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadds:
    Also the 54 has a sculpted body like a p-bass where the tele is slab sided like the original p-basses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, I believe that the '54 has a slab body just like the '51.. the contours were added in '57? I think..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

14. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    My '53 is slab bodied but I have heard of contoured bodies as early as '54.
    The neck on mine is a slim "V" and the MIJ reissues are almost exact. In fact I should really buy one and put a basslines quarter pounder in it since the "53" is getting to be worth so much I'm afraid to take it places. It just stays at the studio now. .. Al mp3.com/badart

[​IMG]

Notice, no covers! [​IMG]

15. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by embellisher:
    Umm, I believe that the '54 has a slab body just like the '51.. the contours were added in '57? I think..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The contours were added with the advent of the Stratocaster in 1954. The contoured body on the single coil P bass lasted from '54-'56. The design was changed to larger peghead, aluminum guard, humbucking pickup, and 4 saddle bridge in 1957.

There was some discussion of Sting's bass on another board and IIRC, Sting's bass is an alder bodied (most were ash) '56 with a soft "V" neck and it now sports a custom stacked humbucking pickup made by Seymour Duncan.

16. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    In BassPlayer (March 00) he says "I also love my current main bass, a ’54 Precision. I rescued it from the orphanage about ten years ago and fell in love with its dilapidated appearance."

------------------
    Paul

17. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Well I didn't remember the post about Sting's P bass all that accurately . I stated it was a '56...wrong...the body and neck are actually dated 4/57. Apparently they used that design from '54 into '57. I also stated it was a "soft V"...wrong again, it's a hard V, I was remembering my stated preference in a subsequent post. They say that memory is the first thing to go.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

At any rate, I copied the original post by Mark Kendrick of Fender. This is what he had to say:

"Sting's P-bass is unique in that both neck and body are dated 4/57. Between '54 and '56 the wood of choice for 'P' was generally Ash. Sting's 'P' is Alder. The neck profile is a heavy 'V', just as you would find on a Strat from the same era. It measures .930 at the first fret and .960 at the twelth. I've only seen one other 'P' like it. It belongs to Nashville session ace, Michael Rhodes. The transition to the "familiar" '57 'P' was completed in June '57. Sting's 'P' is modified. The pup cavity was deepened by .290ths to allow for the additional height of a Seymour Duncan stack. It is wired in parallel and reads at 14K ohms."

18. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Tele basses came with strings thru the body,maybe the bridge is original(unless it has a brand name or something).That pick up cut out story is bogus.I remember the Tele bass being thought of as the "first re-issue".Hence the similarities.I guess Fender was finding a demand for the original pick up and chunky neck.It also allowed them to cash in on the Tele name.Like Oldsmobile-where for 10yrs.everything they made was a Cutlass this or a Cutlass that.

[This message has been edited by MrGump (edited July 30, 2000).]

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hey folks,

Yup...the story about the factory "cutout" is total horsepucky. [​IMG] The Tele-Basses (either version) never had a bridge pickup or a "factory cutout". Both versions (Ver I, '68-'72 with single coil) and (Ver II '72-'79 with humbucker) both had a two saddle strings through bridge except the last two years of production ('77-'79).

Interesting thing to note about Sting's bass is that he had the Fender Custom Shop make him a "relic'd" twin to his original P-Bass so what you're seeing him play on tour is probably the "twin" bass. (Only his bass tech knows for sure and he ain't talking!)

[This message has been edited by Dude (edited July 31, 2000).]

20. 57in75

57in75

Mar 17, 2007
    i happened to run across this site looking for a GENUINE fender neck for my 57 p-bass as i understood they did them right. getting one from them is impossible tho they used to sell necks off the rack in the 70s for strats, teles and basses.

the guy that had never seen another bass as he described should see mine. i have a 57, ser# 15199, alder, with 1-57 written on the heel of the neck and the pup pocket and it has a hard V as well. mine is modified in the facts that in 1975 i didn't like the sloppy backwards tuners and replaced them with what are schaller tuners stamped with fender for $25. the pickguard, pup and bridge cover were tossed and i had a new control plate and knurled knobs made by a machinist friend. i tossed the two-piece bridge as well. i was 17 and rocking and got rid of the shoddy parts with no thought of the vintage craze. i am looking for someone in the DC area that might know how to refret it and i am going to try out a duncan quarterpounder as well. it has been a workhorse that i can't believe. rotosounds destroyed the frets years ago and it buzzes a bit too much now.

it sounds cool with my swr working 12 but in the 70s i used a carvin amp that i still love. i am a guitarist now but once a bassist, always a bassist.