Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tele Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squad5o4, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Squad5o4

Squad5o4

Nov 6, 2001
    Abilene Tx
    I want a tele bass. Not an early Fender Precision bass, an actual tele bass, with a telecaster cut away. Ive seen 1 fender one, that i beleive was a custom shop, and 1 japanese knockoff, that i let pass me by. Any one know where to get one?

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    G&L makes a couple of tele basses the ASAT (solid body)and the ASAT semi hollow (body is shaped like a 72 thinline guitar with the "f"hole). Also, Warmoth makes all the pieces you need to make a tele bass, with bodies in semihollow or solid styles.

www.glguitars.com is the G&L site

www.warmoth.com is the warmoth site.

Hope this gets you closer to the bass you are looking for

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, Iw as gonna say that.

Let me add though that G&L basses are incredible basses for the money, and possibly one of the best deals.

Warmoth makes very high quality parts and has a good reputation.

Peace
    Nick

4. Schecter has a tele bass with a MM pickup. It looks pretty cool, but it's a custom bass so it might cost a bit.

Schecter doesn't that many basses so there's not much chance of finding one used either.

5. I'll second the G&L. I had only played bass for like half a year, and i picked up a Blueburst L2000 and plugged it in...and then promptly crapped myself. They are amazing. And to boot, they are also made by Leo!:cool:

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If they're like the Fenders, I'd imagine that they're muddy.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    They're no more Fenders than Musicman's are.
    Don't knock G&L 'til you've tried one, bubba.
    The beauty lies in the variety of great tones you can get.

"Could you give me a crisp, clean sound?"

"Sure, no problem."

"How about muddy?"

"Yeah.. we can do that too."

"How about a big, fat, greasy, funky growl?"

"Why sir, that's our specialty!"

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got two G&Ls. An L-1000 fretless and a BEAUTIFUL tobaco sunburst ASAT (tele body). Outstanding bass, only problem is the active electronics. You have to unscrew the entire back plate to change the battery. The good thing is if the battery dies, the pickups don't die, just flip the switch to turn off the actives and the pickups work normally. All handmade for around $1000. You can't beat them. With the active OR passive pickup options, the tonal variations are immeasurable.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Since when have Fenders been muddy?

Just curious.

Peace
    Nick

10. A friend of mine (who owns a rare and vinatge guitar shop) has 3 (i think...at least 2)

Wired looking things......

11. Then in that case, you should play my p-bass some time...I have to roll off the tone knob just so I don't over power the audience with my treble...hell its more crisp than a fresh head of lettuce...

:cool:

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    THe GC in south Houston has one, but I can't remember how much they want for it.