1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tele Style Bass Build Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bray101, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    So I have a jazz neck laying around that I want to put to use, so I decided to buy a body unlike anything I have. I saw this single cut tele style bass body with a p/j pup configuration. Think it could be a pretty cool build. I would probably stain it butterscotch.

My issue is I have yet to find a place with a pickguard that would work with it. Would want one similar to a tele guitar, with the route for the p pickup.

Anyone know where I could snag one? I attached a picture of the body I may buy, as well as a sample image of something I would want, but the pickguard would be cut about halfway across the body like a tele.

Thanks! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362031077.317621. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362031095.217161.

2. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Bump

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    You'll have to cut a blank or have it cut. Some plastic places will cut it for you if not try an architecture student.
    Some bodies should be left nude.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Experiment with various paper or contruction paper cut-outs. If you have access to Fender P, 74 Tele Bass, '51 pickguards, you can use them as tracing guides on paper to come up with a custom guard. Also check Talk Bass and Google for photos of custom Tele basses for ideas.

Send your Tele Bass paper cut-out to Pickguardian and he'll make you a guard or do it yourself from plastic blanks from StewMac or Warmoth. Since your doing a Tele Bass use the thin, one ply .06 blanks in good old black or white. Good luck!

Here's my example for my Tele type bass. I had to cut this myself. Took hours!

DIYTeleBass014_zpsa67551a4.

Here's a Tele Bass photo that I found on the net a long time ago. (It's a lefty.)

KGrHqMOKkME5YHo1oZDBOgkQ0hDUQ60_3_zps142281d3.

5. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    saw the same body on ebay...been going back and forth on gettin one. how is the quality?

my thought with the pickguard was a modified version of the Vintage Modified Telcaster.

6. WD music offer a custom 'guard service.

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string

Jun 19, 2012
    Nice project- you have a thread on the construction? What is the weight?

8. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I haven't ordered the body yet. Just saw the listing while looking for a different body and I was intrigued by this one. Really contemplating picking it up if I can find a place to get the guard right.