Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Telebass neck on a precision project..Ugly or NOt?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Apr 1, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Call me crazy. I found an allparts "telecaster" style bass neck that will fit in a regular precision body neck slot. Will this be real ugly? Just wondering. I'm thinking of buying this and putting it on my mighty mite bass body with hand wound P-bass pickups. Know anyone who has done this, and if you have pics of their bass, please send them my way.

2. Take a look at nearly any of the "Bullet" series Fenders and you'll see a mating of a sorta P style body and a Tele style headstock. The Bullet's had shorter horns than a regular P but not as short as a Mustang.

It's not the worst combination around.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Thanks Hambone. I didn't think it is too hideous, just looks like a smaller headstock to me, and besides it would solve the problem of any neck-dive maybe. I'm the type of person that would even play a headless bass, that is if it sounded good...Sooo it really don't matter to me. Hehe. ;)

4. If you haven't already considered it, the heels are different. A precision bass has a rounded heel, and a tele has a square heel.

Ron

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    No, this neck only has a tele headstock. It is an "Allparts" neck which has the rounded heel like a regular precision neck.

6. Well, there you go.

The look is vintage. Do it up.

I like Tele necks on J bodies, myself. I think it's better.

Rock.
    Ron