1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Telebass neck on a precision project..Ugly or NOt?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Apr 1, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Call me crazy. I found an allparts "telecaster" style bass neck that will fit in a regular precision body neck slot. Will this be real ugly? Just wondering. I'm thinking of buying this and putting it on my mighty mite bass body with hand wound P-bass pickups. Know anyone who has done this, and if you have pics of their bass, please send them my way.

2. Take a look at nearly any of the "Bullet" series Fenders and you'll see a mating of a sorta P style body and a Tele style headstock. The Bullet's had shorter horns than a regular P but not as short as a Mustang.

It's not the worst combination around.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Thanks Hambone. I didn't think it is too hideous, just looks like a smaller headstock to me, and besides it would solve the problem of any neck-dive maybe. I'm the type of person that would even play a headless bass, that is if it sounded good...Sooo it really don't matter to me. Hehe. ;)

4. If you haven't already considered it, the heels are different. A precision bass has a rounded heel, and a tele has a square heel.

Ron

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    No, this neck only has a tele headstock. It is an "Allparts" neck which has the rounded heel like a regular precision neck.

6. Well, there you go.

The look is vintage. Do it up.

I like Tele necks on J bodies, myself. I think it's better.

Rock.
    Ron